Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

data streaming capability of EEV-IV

14K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Kingfish999 
#1 ·
was discussing the possibility of streaming data from an OBD-I port like what is possible in OBD-II. i know that they have a Data + and Data - bus on EEV-IV similar to OBD-II. i never heard of them being used for anything as the self test uses different wires. even on the wikipedia page states that they added the 2 data bus wires for sensor streaming. while im sure its not compatible with OBD-II readers (maybe on some?) does anyone have any info on the ability of using this data bus for anythnig usefull?

this was what was on wikipedia
Early EEC-IV equipped cars don't have the capability to send sensor data through the diagnostic connector to a scan tool, unlike GM cars.....By the early 1990s certain Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models had sensor data streaming capability. The feature is called DCL (Data Communications Link). These models have 2 additional data bus wires to the EEC-IV diagnostic connector).

they are not the self test wires as it is on the seperate 1 wire connector

OBD-II port

See less See more
#3 ·
I am currently working on my 90 with the 5.8 in it. I borrowed a snap on solus from a guy I work with and it has a limited data stream capability. Mainly just a few voltages and tempatures. It will tell me what the NSS is reading and rpm too. There are scanners that can do it but they are pricey. The snap on one runs about $4000

#4 ·
#5 ·
As A pro tech I have encountered Fords fro 92 or 93 up that have data stream Both my Mac and Snapon scanners have the old Ford connector and cand read engine data as well as run tests like wiggle, all outputs on, and engine balance. I have been scouring the pick and pull for ecms that can do it. Look for the dlc that has the two data lines.

#6 · (Edited)
funny, i was just today thinknig about buying a older snapon scanner that could do this. i never actually bought one but a friend did. he uses it on his and another 90 bronco. so i know at least 90 and up do it. but his is kinda finicky as it keeps getting stuck tyring to do tests for the power steering pressure switch even tho there isnt one on 5.8s.

i might take a gamble and get the Actron CP9690. its 200$, some say it works fine on thier OBD-I and some say it wont detect. but those are mostly GM vehicles and they apparently had some funky 94-95 OBD thats funky. i dont think it will do actual engine tests like the SnapOn unit will however

#9 ·
ya the 9190 has been superseeded by the 9690 i was looking at. for 200$ its not a bad deal. but then i think about the snap-on one that can actually perform tests. instead of jsut scanning codes and live data

im soo glad i have OBD-II in all my trucks

#10 ·
#11 · (Edited)
i dont think that would work with majority of OBDII readers. and according to reviews thats the issue. scanners are designed to work with certian protocols which is why some scanners dont worth with less common vehicle makes. but it might be worth a try to others compared to spending 200$

#16 ·
Created an account just to say, data-streaming is possible using the Bosch 1300 scan tool. I confirmed it working on my 1994 Explorer. With it plugged into the same port, I told the scan tool it was a 92 Bronco, 89 Bronco II, 90 Ranger, even an 84 Corvette. It all had PIDs for data streams. Each vehicle had different data PIDs, which leads me to believe it would work and give you live data on either one of those vehicles. Some of the PIDs for the other ford vehicles that I also had for my Explorer showed me data in those spots, which leads me to believe Ford used the same format for data-streaming among its different vehicles.
This is one of the only helpful results that pops up when you google "Live data on Ford OBD-1", so I figured I'd add to it since nobody ever mentions the Bosch 1300, which you can still buy as of me posting this, and it costs under $200, unlike these old and outdated snapon and actron tools that costs upward of $400 on ebay, and you need the buy the cartridge's separately.
Hopefully this helps someone else out. The adapters it includes also looks like it does data streaming for both Toyota ports, Chrysler, GM, and Ford, as well as OBD-II vehicles.

#17 ·
Created an account just to say, data-streaming is possible using the Bosch 1300 scan tool. I confirmed it working on my 1994 Explorer. With it plugged into the same port, I told the scan tool it was a 92 Bronco, 89 Bronco II, 90 Ranger, even an 84 Corvette. It all had PIDs for data streams. Each vehicle had different data PIDs, which leads me to believe it would work and give you live data on either one of those vehicles. Some of the PIDs for the other ford vehicles that I also had for my Explorer showed me data in those spots, which leads me to believe Ford used the same format for data-streaming among its different vehicles.
This is one of the only helpful results that pops up when you google "Live data on Ford OBD-1", so I figured I'd add to it since nobody ever mentions the Bosch 1300, which you can still buy as of me posting this, and it costs under $200, unlike these old and outdated snapon and actron tools that costs upward of $400 on ebay, and you need the buy the cartridge's separately.
Hopefully this helps someone else out. The adapters it includes also looks like it does data streaming for both Toyota ports, Chrysler, GM, and Ford, as well as OBD-II vehicles.
thanks for the recommendation. i might have to buy one. its currently $165 on Amazon. would be better than constantly asking my friend to use his scan tool. granted his scan tool can do alot more than just read data

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.