Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out what I picked up for my daughters graduation present. She is super excited about it. It's a 1978 F100 Ranger.

It's all original with 110,000 miles, has a 351M and C6 with AC, PS, and PB. The guy I got it from got it from his father in law who got it from the original owner. He put new tires, exhaust, starter, and battery in it. Everything seems to work but the dash lights.
The bad news is that it dosen't run at the moment, the guy said he parked it and when he went out to start it again it wouldn't start.
His friend told him the timing chain broke, and he didn't know how to fix it. I got it to start within about 10 minutes of getting it home. But it died again so i'll have to dig into it some more. Should be a nice little truck.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
:stupid: I wasn't expecting to see a '78 pu as a "daughters" graduation project...but good on her...:thumbup

Nice looking for the age though!

KC

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Awesome choice. I bought my daughter a 79 F150 2wd with a 351M/4speed for her graduation/off to college "car". She named it Frank and loved it for 2 years, and when she got married she gave it back to me and bought a Taurus. She says driving Frank is the most fun she's had driving and she feels like she can drive anything now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome choice. I bought my daughter a 79 F150 2wd with a 351M/4speed for her graduation/off to college "car". She named it Frank and loved it for 2 years, and when she got married she gave it back to me and bought a Taurus. She says driving Frank is the most fun she's had driving and she feels like she can drive anything now.
I hadn't really thought about it making it's way back to me.;) but that would be cool.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
You know if your daughter is 18 I could have been her present LMAO. Nah kidding man does she wrench or are you going to teach her.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She helped swap out the seat today and she removed the bed rails. She also helped me check out the engine, we put the timing mark on 0 and made sure number one cylinder was at TDC and it's looking like timing chain may have jumped a tooth or two. The rotor was about a 1/4 turn off of number one.
Looks like it's time for a timing chain set, unless somebody nearby has a running 351M/400 they don't need.:thumbup

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Holy crap, your daughter graduated already? Every time I see your kids on a wheeling trip, it seems like they grow up exponentially. Let her know the big bald guy said congrats.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap, your daughter graduated already? Every time I see your kids on a wheeling trip, it seems like they grow up exponentially. Let her know the big bald guy said congrats.
Thanks John, will do.

·
Banned
906 Posts
I would replace the 351M with a 460. Everything will bolt up. You will only need engine mounts. The 351m towers will work. The 460 Powersteering pump w/ mounting bracket might work without having to make new brackets or ordering them (according to what year). Alternator the same way. But since it's a 2wd from what I can tell...there will be no problem putting in a 460 and everything already on the 460 will work. Just mentioned about the brackets because my 79 is a 4x4.

But...if you don't want her to have alot of power. Just get rid of the smog crap on the 351m and put a straight up timing, aftermarket intake, and some headers.....

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
I really like that truck, been looking for a reg cab short box myself. Now just slap some 22's on it....

Nice, my daughter (14) keeps telling me that she plans on driving the bronco to school once she is old enough.
How do you feel about that?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
S#!t. All I got to drive when I graduated was a Royal portable manual typewriter. But one of my nieces now has it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice, my daughter (14) keeps telling me that she plans on driving the bronco to school once she is old enough.
She bugged me her whole senior year about that, "daddy can I take the bronco to school, Please". She did take the F350 to prom.

Going to pull the timing cover off in the next few days and see whats up. If it did jump a couple teeth like i think it did i'll probably just slap on a new chain and gears for now. She really wants to get it on the road, and I really want her to go get a job.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts