Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
didnt know where to put this... so i stuck it here... it could go to general chit chat if youd like

this has gone way too far lol.. enjoy guys.. im taking it all the way

Im fully rebuilding the truck...top to bottom.
heres what we are starting with:
91 Bronco : 351w, e4od, BW1356
D44 Solid front, cage arms, superflex 6inch coils
8.8 rear, leaf sprung and shackle flipped
4.10's two lockers, and 35's

Heres the main plan:
*351w F4 block(full roller) bored and stroked to a 393w. gt40p heads, edelbrock manifolds. Mounted w/ autofab motor mounts
*4r70w: will shorten the driveline 8 inches and wont have the issues the e4ods have
*NP205.: Im on my 3rd 1356
*New Front and rear driveshafts. Both double cardian. 1350 joints or higher...most likely .25 wall
*14 bolt rear. ARB or Detroit. 4.88's or 5.13's. Shaved and trussed
*D60 Front(if i can find one for a reasonable price) if not 8 lug outers for the 44.. selectable locker and matching gears
*Front suspension is retaining the CAGE arm 3 link.
*Rear Suspension will be a double triangulated 4 link.
*Suspension will either be using superflex coils at all four corners. Or FOA 14-16inch travel coilovers... the cost is near equal between the 2.
* Frame is being sandblasted now. Will be fully boxed and re-enforced... All crossmembers will be replaced with beefy ones, new engine xmember, trans xmember and a few new xmembers
*38's or 40's

Other modifications being done:
*Gas tank raised through the floor to increase exit angle..
*New front and rear bumpers
*Fiberglass fenders...allowing me to tuck the larger tire and lower the truck 1-2 inches
*92-96 front clip swap
*new seats for interior... eventually a cage too
*winch
*mojave style heater plumbed through frame rail and installed in back of truck

...yea thats all i can think of right now...

pics start below

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres my FREE 4r70w... buddy is giving me the 4wd output shaft and tailhousing i need too.. another friend is rebuilding it for a case of beer... :D

Heres the FREE F4 block from the same guy...ryan can tell you what these are worth with a clean bore.... going to the hot tank this week and getting bored and new cam bearings popped in...

the dogbones and keeper and some other misc stuff from it in the parts washer

and the frame that just got loaded up and is heading to a friends to be sandblasted...

enjoy:D

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
much much more to come... keep your eyes on this... ill be ordering some parts this week and soon working on mocking the driveline into it...

frame boxing starts this weekend...oh btw... the frame is like 1/4" ... so this will be fun :cry i planning to use the same thickness... and im not excited about forming that

dc

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
damn bro, looks like you got your work cut out for ya... Well keep us posted. I think once Im done with the SAS on my F250, Ill be looking into a cheap bronco to complete rebuild like this.. Ill be watching for updates...

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Nice project, I know you've been in the planning stages of it for a long while now. Are you planning on replacing the TTB cross member while you're reworking the frame?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the engine xmember will definatley be replaced...

for those of you who dont know... if two people stand on opposite corners of the frame it distorts over 24 inches...its scary

dc

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
this is a really cool project. ill be checking for updates.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I know what you mean. We had the frame out of Josh's truck late last year and it was amazing just how much it would deflect just picking up one corner of it. Interestingly it seems that the body actually adds rigidity to the frame, and you'd think it should be the other way around.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Wow, this should be a great build. How'd you break a 1356?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one lost fluid..so i guess thats my fault... i must say... it ran for 8 months with NO fluid in it... and then the oil pump locater let lose in the housing...

second one went when i blew the rear... i got the wheels hopping and broke ring gear teeth, a pinion tooth, detonated the guts of a trac loc and twisted the main shaft in the 1356

it didnt even roll flat... i may keep the manual 1356 i have in there now... ive got a free 205 out of a 78 though...we will see

dc

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,455 Posts
Wow - nice to see another guy going to be running a 4R70W - I love the trans. I'm going to eventually get a shift kit installed on mine - it is shorter and smaller (not to mention lighter) then the E4OD. Looks like you will have a badass rig there.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
yes the engine xmember will definatley be replaced...

for those of you who dont know... if two people stand on opposite corners of the frame it distorts over 24 inches...its scary

dc
I just parted out a 79 and noticed the same thing, the frame on its own isny very rigid at all. We moved the frame with 3 guys pretty easily. I think the front dana 44 weighs as much as the frame.

Ill be following this build too. can you get it done in a week or 2 so we dont have to anxiously watch? ;)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it will take me till next week... :goodfinge

its going to take a little while..

the frame will be fully boxed all at once... so cant help you there... the boxed frame will keep the body from flexing... help on road handling... but will limit offroad flex...sort of... a lot of the flex you guys are seeing may be partially due to frame twist...we will see... it will travel fine though

the time consuming part is getting all the rest of the parts... mainly getting the money together for them... then im re-wiring the whole frame and engine/trans harness will be redone... new fuel lines etc etc... that stuff takes longest i think

im shooting for summer time... this wont be a two year build...

the 4r70w should be nice... ill be adding a few internal goodies to it during the rebuild... the e4od shifts like crap and the reverse bang is horrible.. they all do it... im tired of it... the 4r70w can handle 700 ft/lbs in stock form... thats nice too

ive gotta figure out what it will take to mount the NP205 to the back of the trans... and if i want to run it or not

more to come.. thanks guys

dc

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,455 Posts
My 4R70W took one hell of a beating and finally died when the front pump went. I drove it without line pressure for over a year before it just stopped shifting... Maybe the 260*+ temps didn't help either :duh I love to wheel with it, it has a nice low 1st gear.

·
Lick my
2,090 Posts
Might want to look into the JMOD valve body mod for that 4R70W. I heard its just as good as a shift kit and all you need to do is increase the size of the holes in the valve body seperator plate. Google it and you should see quite a few results. Just an idea....

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
looks like that should be a great build....

i think the frame is 3/16 IIRC. i know the 1/4" stuff me and dave added to mine was slightly bigger. Really, some 1/8" stuff would probably work fine.

i like the face that your ditching the e4od thou

1 - 20 of 185 Posts