Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 219 Posts

·
ate lug
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Man, finally! An update!

With the wife's maternity leave over, she's back to work full time. So im full-time dad from 830-530 when she gets home from work, then i go to sleep cuz i do still work at night. Also, had a catastrophic computer crash which lead to the loss of all my pics, so over the last two weeks ive reassembled a working pc, installed windows + most of my software etc. Been pretty busy the last couple weeks. Thank god for 512gb iPods, cuz i think idve cried if i had to do all this w/o any of my tunes left to listen to either!

So! progress has been slow, but it has been made.

So the verdict is in, the 351 is blown. Turns out when i cranked it over, i bent the #8 rod, and the crank hit the piston and broke it.

Blown head gasket:

One of 3 chunks that broke off piston

Motor apart

lots of metal in the pan

patiently awaiting its demise

Did some searching online, trying to figure out what to do. Rebuild, replace, used motor, etc. Ended up stumbling across another 351 with 70k on it for $400, so i snagged it up, and then sold an 8' truck bed i had kicking around, to cover the cost :toothless

...and the donor 351, coincidentally also out of a 97 F250

Broke 10 of the manifold bolts. Extracted em all, and chased threads in every hole

Degreasing

Sloppy chain replaced

This pretty much gets me to today. i snapped a bolt off for the water outlet, thats been removed and the threads chased. Also snapped one off in the timing cover, but that was fixed before i did the chain. So many broken bolts! Took forever to take care of them all.

I am reusing the valve covers & oil pan off the original 351, but since they got all beat up pulling the motor, they got a fresh coat of paint this morning. I need to order a water pump and a couple other seals i dont have laying around, and then i can paint the block and begin putting the motor back together. My goal is to be able to drop the motor in the truck next weekend.

The donor motor had the oem oil cooler on it, along with all the hoses. Im going to reinstall it. Does anyone know the size of the o-ring that goes between the cooler & the block? If not ill try to swing by the local hydraulic shop and see if they can match it.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
You get a horse and not tell me? Whats with all that "hey" in the back of the diesel.............

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice project, sorry about all the problems. I feel ya though, I have had many issues like this with most of my builds. PITA. I just did a SAS in my 95. Lots of unexpected parts to do the whole build. Not sure that I am done yet. Had to replace Alt and belt the other day as they both failed. I still don't have mine registered so I can't drive it anywhere to see what else I am going to need to do. Hope I don't run into any more issues and can make my trip in a few weeks to Moab. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Good luck with your motor.

·
ate lug
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Man, i hope this one is ok. Supposed to be a 70k motor. It does look clean inside, and every gasket & seal ive touched thus far was OEM so its pretty much unmolested as well. So im hopeful she'll be ok.

You get a horse and not tell me? Whats with all that "hey" in the back of the diesel.............

So my buddy Greg bought a house like 15 min from here. Lots of overgrown bushes. So we put the truck, trailer & winch to use. Did this a couple times before we got em all out:

back up trailer, winch bush out of ground right onto trailer, drink beer, move onto next bush :toothless

·
ate lug
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
351 #2, all cleaned up, ready for install:

Dropped the motor in by myself friday morning after work:

This motor came with all the parts for the OEM oil cooler, so thats on there as well.

...and the money shot, taken about an hour ago. She runs! :rockon

50 psi oil pressure cold, 25 warmed up. Drove it around the block for the 1st time earlier, motor feels strong. Its got a tick, i think its a lifter on the passenger head. Its not super loud, so im gonna run it and see if it gets quieter once i put some miles on it. Here's hoping this motor lasts longer than the last one!

·
ate lug
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
:thumbup

Shes got a noisy lifter, but other than that, runs pretty good.

I need to make a run to the junkyard, because i want a set of XLT rear panels in place of the XL cardboard ones, and i need to find the servo & bracket so i can finish the cruise swap.

·
ate lug
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Time for a facelift!

First off excuse the pic quality, my phone is on the way out, and i cant get a clear pic out of it for some reason.

The OEM headlights leave something to be desired, so its time to do something about it!

LED Headlights form Beamtech. I use them on my F250, as well as my wife's Nissan Juke, and they work great.
Theyre also cheap, which is a bonus :toothless

Ive removed the adjusting collar, and trimmed down the OEM lock rings for the headlamp housings. The ones that came with the housings are pretty junky.

Disassembly

the new housings

These are the black/clear housings. Man they look good :cool:

Im really diggin it, looks a ton better.

Before you ask: I started aiming the housings last night, need to take it for a drive and see how they look, dont think ive got em quite right yet. HOWEVER, i have bigger fish to fry. The tcase is not engaging 4d Hi or Low. Looks like im gonna have to drop the case. While im in there, im probably going to pull the trans too cuz the rear main seal started leaking pretty badly. So i wont have any good pics of the bronco outside, or of how the new headlights work, until im done with that.

These are the housings im using. As the reviews say, they are a pain to fit, but do look good if you take your time. Next time ill try a different brand.

These are the LED headlights. A buddy did some research on good 'cheap' led headlights, and this brand (Beamtech) got really good reviews. Like i said, this is the 3rd set of them ive bought, so far no issues with them in any of our vehicles.

·
ate lug
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
So me & a 20% coupon went to Harbor Freight, and bought their trans jack. Its actually pretty nice.

Dropped & split the tcase.

It appears the problem is a badly stretched chain. Playing with it on the cart, it appears the chain is so sloppy it falls behind the shift lever that engages the fork for the 4wd engagement, and sometimes prevents it from going in. Explains why it felt like it was in 2-Low the other day. Got a new chain on order, but it wont be here til friday. I went thru the whole case last year, so it doesnt need anything else. Shouldve just done the chain then.

Got the trans dropped too

Trans jack made it super easy. Got the rear main seal replaced, and the trans is already back up in the truck. Sucks installing an E4OD by yourself. Just waiting on the tcase chain now, to finish reassembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love the look of OBS Fords! Nice headlights too. I got an 89 BII that I've wanted new headlights on for a long time, you got any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 219 Posts