Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
35,926 Posts
Update!

The 315s are doing well, glad i bought em. Rides so much better than the beat 305s i had.

So, i was lost in the dark corners of the interwebs, and found these:

They are Switchback LEDs from Amazon

The turn signal is your typical amber:

But the parking circuit is white:

Theyre pretty cool actually. The white parking light turns off when they blink orange, then turns back to white when you turn the blinker/hazards off. No wiring required, just plug em in. Theyre surprisingly bright, and the color matches my LED headlights well.
sounds kinda cool... but :red x

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Topless!

This was about a week or so ago, but finally got my site updated so i can post em on the forum again.

It was fun, but sadly i had to throw the top on due to the impending storm we got the other day.

Not gonna lie, i was surprised how much heavier the top on the 96 is, compared to the top on my 88. Lots more steel in the newer ones apparently. Sucked moving it myself :duh

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,816 Posts
Progress!

Rear axle is now complete!

Brakes done and plumbed, new diff cover, and ful of oil

Bolted it in, installed a shocks, connected parking brake cables, and called it a day. Today I dropped off the rear d.shaft to get shortened, and then rolled it out of the garage so I could do some cleanup. So here's the money shot!

:rockon
Are the spring perches on the 10.25 SRW the same width as the 8.8?

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,816 Posts
Yup! Shock mounts are in the same place too. If it wasnt for the fact that you have to shorten the driveshaft by 1", it would be a 100% bolt-in job :cool:
Why can't you use the said driveshaft?

Too long?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Pretty much been just driving this thing all fall :thumbup

A month or two ago i went to replace a taillight and found a cracked housing, so i bought some smoked clear housings, looks much better

Some more LEDs from Amazon

Some time during the end of summer i took the spare off the tire carrier. Too heavy, was tearing the tailgate. I guess two weeks ago now i found an interior carrier in a junkyard, so i snagged it up

Bolted up

35" tire just clears the tailgate

...but as everyone knows, it wont clear the seat.

Specifically, the seat can be latched to the floor, but you cant put the seat back up. You can buy a kit to move the seat forward, but its not cheap. I figured id tear into it and see how bad it would be to do myself.

Stuffed back into the garage. Its a tight fit!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
So i managed to remove the seat brackets, but it wasnt easy.

Both bolts came out of the passenger side bracket, but both bolts broke off on the driver side. Theyve both been drilled out at this point, but ill still need to run a tap down the holes.

I lifted the rubber mat, and found it was wet. The cardboard was moldy, and the jute was soaked! The floor is rusty and damp. Not good.

So now the whole interior is coming out!

Mostly surface rust, but i did find a couple holes, like this one for example

The rear belt bolts were super stubborn, i ended up stripping both of these out

They came out with some persuasion though. Im going to have to find replacement bolts i suppose!

I also got the front stripped as well, this looks a lot better!

So that pretty much catches me up. This week i need to clean the interior real well and then i can begin the rust repair. I see at least 3 spots in the back that will need patching, hopefully thats all of it.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Ok little bit of progress.

Below the rear passenger speaker is an impact sensor for the airbag. Well, since i dont have the airbag anymore i figure i dont need this sensor either.

Sensor, with harness. The harness runs to a connector behind the passenger side kick panel. So all thats eliminated now.

I also wanted to do something with this. This is the power for the rear right speaker, plus the seatbelt switch.

i de-loomed all of this, and followed it back to a harness connector near the p.brake pedal. I bypassed the seatbelt switch, because i dont need my truck to tell me to wear my seatbelt. Then i pulled the wires for the rear right speaker out of the harness and separated them. I rerouted them thru the dash, thru the passenger side kick panel and sill, back to the speaker. They are long enough in stock form that i dont need to extend them. Plus, now i dont have any exposed wires in the interior of the bronco :cool:

The front half of the interior is solid, no rust repairs required. In the rear half, ive begun stripping the seam sealer, and began rust repair. There are more holes than i anticipated, i think im up to 5 or 6 now. Ill post pics during the week as i begin to tackle each one.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
So rust repair has begun!

Rear left corner fixed

random hole in rear right wheel well fixed

random hole at bracket for rear right seatbelt spool fixed

I didnt realize till later that these were terrible pics. Ill try to get better ones and replace them later on.

That concludes the 'easy' repairs. Now for the bad ones:

I suspect these will take a bit more time to fix, so probly no updates til theyre done. Hopefully thats all of it; there is one spot near the driver seatbelt spool i need to inspect, but thats the only other spot in question as the front half of the floor is in great shape.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Reptillikus I am loving your build and stealing the headlight set up mine came with he housings you put in and well I am currently doing a 1997 5.8 out of a f250 Hd into my 95 and well your post has given me hope

·
Registered
91 Posts
The links to your headlights failed and I'm super interested to know what you used. Is there a good write up that you used for this?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Reptillikus I am loving your build and stealing the headlight set up mine came with he housings you put in and well I am currently doing a 1997 5.8 out of a f250 Hd into my 95 and well your post has given me hope
Thanks! :thumbup Good luck with your swap! It really wasnt all that bad to do, and i love driving it :cool:

The links to your headlights failed and I'm super interested to know what you used. Is there a good write up that you used for this?
The light housings i bought on Amazon, it appears the link doesnt work anymore. They didnt fit for shit anyway, i wouldnt have recommended them.

These are similar. Same vendor even:
https://www.amazon.com/Bronco-Housing-Corner-Headlight-Replacement/dp/B07H3J8Q2F/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1544118166&vehicle=1996-54-669-656-47-32-11-8-3501--3-2-125-107-1-0&sr=1-5&ymm=1996:ford:f-350&keywords=headlight+housing

My guess is, theyre the same ones. They look good, but be prepared to modify them as they did not fit well, and the sockets do not fit the housings well either. If you can overlook that and deal with a little bit of work, they do look good on the truck.

I dont have a write-up to install them. The two marker/turn signal housings install on the chrome bezel, after the bezel has been removed from the truck. While thats out, its easy to change the headlamp housing.

LED headlights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PB6T6J/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These have been working great, no complaints. Edit: I guess thats the old headlight, looks like this is the new version:
https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-9007-Adjustable/dp/B07GKWCYQD/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544118658&sr=8-3&keywords=hikari+9007

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really want led headlights but I don't know anything about how to do it on our truck. I've never changed regular bulbs to hid or led on anything.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Yeah thanks to their low power consumption they are basically plug and play. You need to pick a good LED headlight too because theyre not all created equal. I was running Beamtechs and while the light output is ok, it doesnt cast very far out. My Hikari's throw light a lot farther, and i like them a lot more. My buddies Morimoto's are really nice too. I used Lifetime LED in my old Samurai and those were phenomenal but theyre not cheap.
And like any other light, you need a good housing. LED bulbs in a stock housing probably wont have a proper beam pattern, which is why i switched to a clear housing with rear reflector.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Ok were back at it!

I had to take the hard top off, it was a pita to do all this work hunched over in the back, working under a droplight

Cut the rust out of the corner

One patch done to xmember. I did patch that little hole, just never took a pic of it.

Laying out the floorpan

and all done! :cool:

Tomorrow im going to begin one of the wheel wells, which im not looking forward to. So many curves!:duh

161 - 180 of 225 Posts