Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you reccomend for a daily driven wheeling rig? I drive 30,000 miles a year, and would prefer to average over 15 MPG. I was thinking of either a bronco II, 4Runner, or maybe an FSB with a straight 6. I'll need something that can hold up to real abuse out on trails, not just puddle splashing. Do you have any reccomendations?

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,039 Posts
I'm sure a Toyota would fit the bill, lots of aftermarket and little engine.

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
believe it or not but the original 400 in the bronco got 16mpg and held up to some heavy abuse on the trails, but I think that was just a fluke thing, only lasted a few years till I dumped it into a mighty nasty hole and woke up and realized we need a 460 with 1 ton diffs

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
I vote for a jeep xj as well. They are pretty good wheelers, have a large aftermarket (because its a jeep), have much more cargo space than a wrangler, and can get 15+ mpg with the 4.0L

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
4Runner, or Samy...both are decent on gas and can be built up at a fairly affordable price.
That's just my .02

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
16 MPG with a 400??? When I squeezed 12MPG out of my old 351M I was amazed...

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
I vote yota...for reasons listed previous. Decent motor, big trail mod potential, reliable DD...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
f-150/bronco with an 300 I6. I drive a 78 with a 400 (gettin 5.5mpg but there is an issue there) and it does awesome on and off road. I drive it everyday and I have no issues. I wouldnt recommend a 400 but maybe a little I6 would do the trick. They have plenty of power. Also a later year bronco (92-96) would more than likely do the trick.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The drag coefficent of a TJ (.55) is even worse than a Bronco (.4x -ish, even my XJ with the 4.0 (Cherokee) only got 17 mpg at its best.

Bronco II = unsafe at any speed, especially offroad , you could increase its stance at the expense of wearable parts.

I vote for an mid 90's Toyota with 4-banger or a Ford Ranger.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts