Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my understanding is the difference between an XLT Sport and a regular XLT is the color matched bumpers, running boards and front grill.

I'd like to replace my bumpers with 'heavier duty' bumpers, have ordered better running boards and have found a grill i like better.

Is it wrong to 'de-sport' an XLT sport and make it just a regular XLT?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,178 Posts
all a matter of preference..feel free to de-sport as needed...

·
Registered
37 Posts
If they are in good condition, be gentle with them and maybe make them available for a sport-lover to find a beloved replacement.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,062 Posts
agree with the above. I also agree with everyone else in that I would take that stuff off and put back on what ever I wanted also without much thought.

·
Banned
7,818 Posts
As long as you don't destroy the rare parts, and make them available to others who need them, there's nothing wrong with making your truck yours. Just bear in mind that Broncos aren't made any more, and neither are many of their parts.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Definitely save anything you take off that's in good condition. Original parts are getting harder and harder to find.

I am curious as to why you want to have running boards though. My experience is that they tend to get torn off, even if you don't wheel or rock climb.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely save anything you take off that's in good condition. Original parts are getting harder and harder to find.

I am curious as to why you want to have running boards though. My experience is that they tend to get torn off, even if you don't wheel or rock climb.
There are so many terms, Nerf bars, running boards, side steps, rock sliders, i'm just never sure what to use. This is what i ordered as replacement, i'm lifted 4" on 33" tires, so they are mainly so my 8yr old can get in.

http://n-fab.com/products/sfID1/60/sfID2/86/sfID3/92/productID/65

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
There are so many terms, Nerf bars, running boards, side steps, rock sliders, i'm just never sure what to use. This is what i ordered as replacement, i'm lifted 4" on 33" tires, so they are mainly so my 8yr old can get in.

http://n-fab.com/products/sfID1/60/sfID2/86/sfID3/92/productID/65
Actually, each term is pretty specific. Running boards run the length of the body between the tires and sometimes more. Nerf bars are basically faux sliders. They're just supposed to look cool. Sides steps are just that, steps below the doors for easier access. Rock sliders are heavy duty steel runners that run along the bottom edges of the body to prevent things like rocks, stumps and trees from damaging the lower edges of the body when the truck gets hung up on them.

What you ordered are nerf bars with side steps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's my plan. I haven't been able to find a rear bumper I really like yet. But black on red is the way I'm going. May even paint my removable top black.

I wonder, has anyone ever had their bronco top wrapped in Vinyl?

·
Banned
7,818 Posts
Don't paint that camper. Original paint is NOT available, but black campers are cheap. Transfer the original headliner into the black top, and you can just lean the red one up against a tree. It'll be fine for a decade or so, and you might want to put it back on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, each term is pretty specific. Running boards run the length of the body between the tires and sometimes more. Nerf bars are basically faux sliders. They're just supposed to look cool. Sides steps are just that, steps below the doors for easier access. Rock sliders are heavy duty steel runners that run along the bottom edges of the body to prevent things like rocks, stumps and trees from damaging the lower edges of the body when the truck gets hung up on them.

What you ordered are nerf bars with side steps.
Thank you! That does help a lot...One more question. How can you tell what i ordered is a nerf bar with side steps instead of a rock slider with side steps? Thickness of the metal or design? Or is it just because of the step...it can't 'slide' with a step in the way

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Thank you! That does help a lot...One more question. How can you tell what i ordered is a nerf bar with side steps instead of a rock slider with side steps? Thickness of the metal or design? Or is it just because of the step...it can't 'slide' with a step in the way
Both, actually. Sliders are there to allow the rig to slide over obstacles. Steps would just get hung up. And the sliders are made of much heavier material, with much stronger mounting brackets. Also, nerf bars tend to be made of thin walled round tube while sliders are made of thick walled square tube, but its not a rule per say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts