Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple of days I have been fighting a dead battery. Had the battery checked twice and it was good both times. Had the alternator checked and it passed. Replaced positive battery cable to starter solenoid and ground cable to frame and motor. The original cables were pretty bad and I thought they might have been the issue. Once I got the battery checked and charged the second time after replacing the cables, i hooked the battery up and the fuel pump kicked on. There was no key in the ignition. I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch on the column is staying on and causing the battery to drain, but what do you all think?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
when you hook up the battery cables is there and sparking ? even a tiny bit means there is an electrical usage going on somewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes slightly. The fuel pump kicks on as soon as I reconnect that battery (no key in the ignition). This should not happen. That should happen when I turn the key not when I hook up the battery.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
I wonder if the ignition rod is getting screwed up, You gotta tilt column ? Change the steering wheel position to straight up and see if the spark is still at the battery, This may indicate that the switch on the column is staying on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to give that a try tonight after work. My suspicions were also with the ignition switch but wanted a little insight. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
252 Posts
Fuel pump relay could be stuck also I remember my 88's FP used to stay running after i shut down and pulled the key out (good swift kick to finder usually stoped it)

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,521 Posts
My bet is the fuel pump relay is stuck closed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts