Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP !! I have a dead 88 Bronco with a 351W. I just replaced the Throttle body assembly (throttle body came assembled with air by pass and TPS) and the ECT now the thing will not start. I replaced the Throttle body because it was sticking. I have NO spark at all. I tried putting the old parts back on and it still won’t start. What did I do?….sure wish it had a reset button. I have checked the TPS (.910 at closed throttle) and it increases smoothly as I open the throttle, checked my electrical connections (everything seems good)…I pulled the coil wire from the distributor and put a plug in it to check for spark and got nothing, so I replaced the coil and still nothing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I know where the TFI & stator are located but how do they prevent spark coming from the coil to the distributor? I checked all the wires & connectors I could think of by back probing them with the key on, they seem to have power. I did wash off the motor with the hose on low to remove the anti freeze, I hate the smell of it when it bakes on the motor. I could have gotten something wet but it should have dried by now (2days later). I did pull the connector on the TFI and it was dry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FIREGUY50....I read some of the info on your site, thanks. If I read your info correctly if the stator does not read the revolutions of the distributor it does not tell the coil when to fire, is that correct? Also, where is the EEC relay located and could that be my problem??

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Not the EEC relay in my opinion. You stated you had a TPS voltage which indicates the EEC relay is working.
Also the TFI controls spark during crank without the EEC. So "if" the TFI and stator are working they can generate a spark with NO computer in the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I need to try replacing the TFI & stator when I get a chance. I better start calling around for the TFI tool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fireguy50....well I just replaced the TFI unit and it started right up. Now I need to make time to pull the dis and replace the stator sometime soon. Thanks for the help:beer

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Change the stator SOON if you are going to do it.
The TFI and stator will pass the problem between each other.
I've seen people change 3-4 TFI modules and 2 or so Stators. Once they did both at once the problem didn't return

1 - 9 of 9 Posts