Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was offroading last night and after i went through one pit with some water my car kind of sputtered to a stop and then it wouldnt get back started. when you turn the key there is just a single click and it wont crank.

ive had this problem a couple times before and normally after a little bit i guess it would dry out and start to crank. this time im not so lucky and i had to get pulled home by a friend and its stuck in front of my house for now.

anyone know what this is or have any suggestions besides letting it dry out. ive heard from somebody that a wet starter will sometimes do this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to add... battery is good i tested it with the voltmeter, starter relay has been replaced recently, and ive also tried bridging the gap across the starter solenoid and all it does is spark.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You didn't "hydrolock" the engine did you? Might turn it over by hand with a breaker bar to see if engine is okay. If only starter issue, ie. water in starter and starter is bad. Hopefully that's it, might remove starter and let it dry out.

Bridging the soleniod, key was in "on/run" position right?!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Put a socket on the crank bolt with a breaker bar, disconnect the battery first, just in case.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i cleaned the terminals on the starter and checked the ones on the relay and it didnt change anything... took off the starter and it had a lof of rust/dirt in it. i got a new one (lifetime waranty) and put it on and now its just fine.

thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts