Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my bronco died!!!! I went to start it and it did some fast clicks so I stopped to not overheat my starter. Tried again got one big clunk and then no power. I tried to jump it off another truck and couldnt show any power to my system. NO lights no gauges nothing!!!! Ive had this issue for the past month but normally once I jump it from another vehicle it will start. Does anyone know what could cause my truck to not get power even when connected to another truck?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dead battery. Although it's been jumped before, it could be too dead to jump now. Put in another battery and see if that fixes your problem. You could also take it to the auto parts store to see if it will charge.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
I'd also check to see if your terminals on your battery cables are good. Or even just replace them anyway, since they're dirt cheap.
I had this problem and I could fix it just by tapping the terminals and everything inside the cab would come back to life. The battery was good, but the terminals were worn out.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Usually a battery that's dead and can no longer "hold a charge" has these simptoms so put an 850CCA battery in your BKO and it will thank you everyday, I got mine at Costco for around $81.00 worth every penny IMO.

Make sure your NEG battery cable is grounded to the frame for better continuity and that ALL wires and cables that converge on the "starter relay" are free of corrosion, especially those wires with the "loops" on the starter relay corrode easily.

Starter Relays for the most part are cheaply made so Motorcraft or Bosch would be a good choice next time around and test the (S) side of the starter relay for voltage thru that cable down to the starter motor........testing the Alternator couldn't hurt either ......

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
179 Posts
you need your battery grounded in two places: to the frame, and to the engine. the starter will be more energetic if you ground directly to its mounting bolts.

remove the ground bolts, scrub both sides of the grounding cable with a wire brush, same treatment for the mounting point. use an internal tooth star washer under the bolt head and between the cable and mounting point.

if you can'r remember the last time you changed your battery, it's time to change your battery.

standard issue battery terminals are cheap, and worth what you pay. seek out Tsunami brand. designed for multiple connections,like dual ground cables or huge power cables to a winch.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea the battery is but like 6 months old. I even remember buying one that had more CCA then the one that had been in it. Go figure the day I plan on taking my truck to have it checked at auto zone is the day it dies. So Im gonna get a ride over there and pull it out and see what they say. My terminals are all clean and I didnt see any corrison or rust on anything but I couldnt really see the starter but those cables were tight. Thanks for the info guys Ill let you know if it works.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stupid question but didnt the 96 have a fusable link in the charging cable? Just a noob asking?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm having kinda the same issue with mine. I know my battery is good cause I just had it switched out 3 months ago and I replaced my alternator cause I thought it was dead. A few months back I had bought 2 gauge wire to redo my battery cables so I guess I'll do all that now. I do think we have fusable links in the charging cable of our broncos and I'm almost 100% sure mine is bad. Should I run a wire directly from the alternator to the battery instead of the solenoid and should I put a fusable link in that wire? I was basically thinking just a straight 2 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery...any thought anyone?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the battery ended up still being good. So I guess im changing the cables cause Ive can see a little corrosion.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I just replaced my Neg Cable today because I was having the same issue. I'd changed the terminals a couple of weeks ago and just yesterday I went out to go some place and it wouldn't start. I tried jumping it and no dice. I actually got it jumped by connecting the to the bit of wire just behind the terminal. The odd thing was the replacement terminal was already looking corroded and rusty after only being on it for maybe 3-4 weeks. I just decided to spend the $12, get new wire to replace the 18 year old wire and call it good. My only problem I had was that the wire I took off the truck measured 60". At the local stores, they sold 54" and 78" I took the 78" and just kept it coiled along the upper area of the wiring loom. I also discovered that I had no Battery hold down. I assumed I had the bottom hold downs but there was nothing there. I bought a set and now I'm good to go. I asked my FIL about it and he assumed the same thing I did. His only guess was that when had the battery replaced a few years ago, the Jack Holes didn't reinstall the hold downs since they were not that convenient to get to. Now I have a Top strap so it will be obvious.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why was the battery dead in the 1st place? You may have a constant power drain on your rig. Just thnking about all the possibilities and avoiding more no-starts in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts