Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to post this here so I dont get flammed to hell. I have been Bronco shopping lately, and I'm having problems.

I know supply and demand goes into effect. There aren't a lot of low miles, clean Bronco's left.

So, Nada high values a 96 EB with 90k miles at 5500, so lets say 6k. A local dealership has a 96 EB with 90k, and they want 10k for it. As a Bronco fan, I'd consider paying that much for one, but as a person with limited funds, is it a good investment? Or a smart investment?

I guess my point is, I can see Bronco people trying to sell a low mileage Bronco for bigger bucks, but for some reason, I can't justify it from a dealer.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Me personally, I would never buy one from a dealer ever.He's inflating the price 4 grand if not more. And 90 miles is not really low miles for a 96 IMO. Shop around shop around shop around. You shouldn't have to pay more then 5g's more in the range of 3500 for a good clean bronco.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
10k for a 96? its 15 years old. suprised the dealer even put it on the lot. Go in with cash, low ball them.

Used cars are never a "good" investment. with any car you are buying something that is constantly depreciating and wearing out.(new cars are a worse investment).

Look around some more. if you wait you can find a later model bronco for under 5k. especially with the current economy.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Look around and even travel if you have to. I was looking at a flare side truck and was willing to travel to the midwest. Even with airplane ticket, I would still have saved over what the local stealership wanted.

If this Bronco is a must have at 10K and you can't wait, then buy it. If you can wait, look around and wait.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The nice thing is, I'm not in a hurry. I can travel, and I have money to burn on this. So for once, I can get what I want. I just dont know what I want!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know you are in another state, but if you want to see BKOs for sale; the SF bay area Craigslist. Check in and search for BRONCO. There are some higher priced units (lots invested), but some are $1000 and lower that run. Saw a nice one for $500 needed a tranny and the "back window won't go down"...where have we heard that before?

I traded some Sporting Equipment (don't want to say what) and $200 for an 89 Eddie Bauer that needed a transfer case. had 75,000 miles on it and runs good!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ebay seems to always have at least one 96 EB with 50k miles on but they go well over ten. If you will take 100K miles they get decent in price. Just my 2 cents/

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
hell i would sell you my big block bronco with some decent items added to the motor (cam, intake and carb) for $3000 and save you the $7000 to put towards whatever you want

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If you're paying cash and not financing, they're old enough where its really the eye of the beholder sort of thing.

If you're really wanting a low miles, clean 96, prepare to pay over "book" value. Whatever that price may be.

I bought my 96 in 2007 with 76K on the clock for 6500. But I was after something very specific and it took me a while to find. Personally, if I were to buy another right now (96 351, E4OD, EB, low miles, all options, etc) I'd be prepared to spend 7-8K to get what I want....understanding that it isn't an investment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good.

So, just a group opinion here.

I plan on walking in to a deal with enough cash to cover the price and a trade in. Does having cash help with bargaining? I have never done a cash deal before at a dealership.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
You'll get screwed on any trade in. Cash usually does help, but you'd get the best deal with a private party.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Buy two BKO fixer-uppers, and make one good one. You'll save in the long run. Parts are $$$ and getting hard to find. Luckily I have storage and I stripped one (same year as my main ride), saved all the parts and then cut up the body with the a Saws-All. Made a whole $65 for scrap metal. Wow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Used vehicles are usually marked up 3 to 4k. That vehicle can't be financed so its a cash car only, and they probably got it on a trade. I wouldn't pay over 7 including tax.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thats just way too high in my opinion. When dealing with dealers, have a set price you are willing to pay... offer them $500 less, CASH. (And yes, cash does talk... theyd much rather have cash than your anyway, that is why many dealers and house financers actually sell your loan to other money lenders They will come back with an offer probably a little lower than the sticker, how much lower lets you know how much they are willing to deal on it and will give you a ball park, if they accept your offer then youve gone way too high... NO MATTER WHAT, BE PREPARED TO WALK WHEN THEY DONT COME DOWN TO YOUR SET PRICE, AN NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER LOOK LIKE YOU HAVE TO HAVE, NEED, WANT THE VEHICLE YOU ARE TRYING TO BUY. Remember it s a 96 bronco, Ford made 100's of thousands of them, this dealer doesnt have the last low mileage one on the planet. Personally, Id go on Craigslist, to any big city that you dont mind driving home from, 1) cuz major cities will be cheaper to get to via, plane, train, bus... 2) will have a bigger selection to choose from... rent a car, go look at a few in the town, select one, and buy... return rental, take taxi (or have seller follow you if they are nice enough) back to bronco, drive home.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
7500 okay, its a couple of extra than I'd spend there but no biggy. but I wouldn't pay over 7.5k for a bronco no matter how clean. unless its under 70k miles.

·
Registered
834 Posts
......Unless it is a "certified" used with a 180 day bumper to bumper warantee....
That might be worth a bit more.
I know a lot of those northern cars have some rust issues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts