Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

201 - 220 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
DOH!!!!

I was wondering if this thread was just sitting idle since it was a bit of time until the trip. It ends up that I didn;t subscribe to it!

I had mentioned it to Tullio the other day and he said the thread was active so I checked.

I am still in, and the Mountaineer is pretty ready for the trip. No problem on the poker hand thing, just wondering. I will be sending in my regestration fee in the next couple weeks.

To do list:
- Reinforce the track bar bracket (should be done this wekend)
- Spare tire carrier so I can get the spare off the roof
- F&R bump stops
- If finances allow, add a winch to the front

Dan

Sounds like your Mountaineer is good to go! I envy you that trailer... I want one, too.

So far I've been telling people 1 "hand" per paid entry, but since we only have a handful of people, I would be willing to let them decide... I'm not going to unilaterally change the rules after I got their money. Make sense?

If they're all ok with it, I am. Should we set a cap, though? Maybe max two entries per body?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is this trip still open for new-comers or has it closed out?

·
RAAAAAH!
937 Posts
Get a hold of Speedyweasel. He is organizing the buy-in and planned route.

·
RAAAAAH!
937 Posts
It's $35 to Speedweasel.

PM him to get his PayPal address.

You almost got the transfer case in already?!?! Which case did you end up going with?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with another BW4406. I was a little bit nervous replacing a transfer case that had failed

with another one of the same model. But once I got the replacment one here and started the work of removing the old one I found out what caused the failure:

If you look carefully at that picture you will notice that the front driveshaft flange is not connected. Here is a more obvious view:

The driveshaft flange also has a coresponding marks on it that support this idea. Also take a close look at the threaded holes in the flange, one of them is buggered:

I didn't touch this at this point. This is exactly as it was when it blew up. I figure that what happened is the driveshaft flange bolts backed out one at a time. At some point in that last 300yards after I shifted in to 4WD the last bolt backed out enough to let the flange dissengauge, but the bolt was still in enough to allow the flange of the drivshaft to wedge itself between the main body of the transfer case (nich bright shiny slash on the case) and the remaining bolt. As the drive line continued to go forward something had to give. It ends up that the entire case was where it gave! Further evedence that my theory is right is the pile of scrap I picked up at the scene:

Notice the button head bolt. It happens to be nearly the correct length and exactly the correct thread.

Anyway, I'll PM the guy and get his paypal so I can send him my regestration payment.

·
RAAAAAH!
937 Posts
If you look carefully at that picture you will notice that the front driveshaft flange is not connected.
Well, there's your problem. :toothless

At least you know what happened and at least it's an easy(er) fix. :thumbup

·
RAAAAAH!
937 Posts
Oh, and maybe a little of this that the previous owner forgot

·
RAAAAAH!
937 Posts
For those of you who already paid in, I believe Speedyweasel has already spoke to you on the phone and told you what is going on.

Long story short - He won't be able to make it. However, this trip is still going to happen.

I will be taking over the lead on this one.

Those who are coming, post up here or let me know via PM so I get get an accurate list going.

This date is coming up soon so we should probably start talking specifics anyways.

Looking forward to it guys!

201 - 220 of 306 Posts