Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 306 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I will keep these dates open on my calendar and hope I can make it depending on what sort of vacation time the new job gives me. I will suggest that depending on the number people that go you come up with some sort of menu that everyone agrees on and do the group meal thing. I've found that this just makes things a little easier for everyone all the way around and cuts down on your overall cost.

·
Certified Asshat
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It's official. Paid up, bitches. First. #1.

Let's get this list going...commit ladies, this is going to be epic.
What he said! :stupid

Some of us don't make money :'(

Ill be starting the death valley gas fund

I can take donations at PayPal at
[email protected]

Thanks for your contributions :)

Hahaha
Hey, whatever it takes man. :haha

Now the gas, food, etc...that's another story. Like I said, a lot can happen in a year. But if we get the $25 in and get the reservations, it makes the whole thing easier. Will build anticipation, too, as more people commit.

I've got a bunch of scrap metal you can pick up from my shop and recycle, Tony, in lieu of donations. You look like a strapping young lad, wouldn't want to insult your manhood by denying you the opportunity to earn the money LOL...
Exactly what I've been thinking. The sooner we get people mentally committed, the more they'll have the time to budget for it, shake down their rigs, prepare, etc.

How do I pay?
PayPal, cash, money order. Whatever you want. PM me and we'll figure it out from there! :rockon

I will keep these dates open on my calendar and hope I can make it depending on what sort of vacation time the new job gives me. I will suggest that depending on the number people that go you come up with some sort of menu that everyone agrees on and do the group meal thing. I've found that this just makes things a little easier for everyone all the way around and cuts down on your overall cost.
That would be great if you can go. You have more local knowledge than anybody else so far and would be a great addition to the run.

Interesting on the meals... are you suggesting group meals for the whole trip or just the BBQ? I'm personally not prepared to do Quartermaster detail for this but that doesn't mean somebody else wouldn't mind. Then again, I have a feeling some will be perfectly happy with Cheetos and beer. :shrug

Anybody else have input on the food thing?

·
Banned
4,446 Posts
well the way ive allways done the food thing is everyone brings there own thing and then we all can pot luck this thing..

beer should be on everyones list.. kind of a must.
water.
burger i buy them in the box which has i think 50 burgers.
soda not a good idea unless your not a beer person

the biggest pain in the ass is where do we put it..

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
well the way ive allways done the food thing is everyone brings there own thing and then we all can pot luck this thing..

beer should be on everyones list.. kind of a must.
water.
burger i buy them in the box which has i think 50 burgers.
soda not a good idea unless your not a beer person

Roof racks! Plus no backseats!

We might have to boy scout this shit out. Make a list, check it twice and assign to people. That way not one person is carrying a shit ton of stuff. However it depends on everyone else's opinions.

I for one don't need much food to survive, just beer! Haha. However that being said I will not turn down a hamburger or steak. I am planning on making a kitchen box. I used one in the boy scouts. Basically a box that has two fold outs and a bunch of shelves. Throw it in a bench, tailgate, or saw horses and you can out your Coleman camp stove on it and it holds all of your essentials in one place.

We'll also need a lot of propane. I am not expecting it to be cold but we could possibly bring one of those heaters? Who knows. We've got a long time to figure out the shit we need.

The places we're camping at, do they have shitters?

·
Registered
357 Posts
beer and lots of it and maybe a bottle of whiskey, for food burgers and brats or hotlinks :beer

i agree with tonyroc on the roof rack and no back seat more space for storage

·
Banned
4,446 Posts

We might have to boy scout this shit out. Make a list, check it twice and assign to people. That way not one person is carrying a shit ton of stuff. However it depends on everyone else's opinions.

I for one don't need much food to survive, just beer! Haha. However that being said I will not turn down a hamburger or steak. I am planning on making a kitchen box. I used one in the boy scouts. Basically a box that has two fold outs and a bunch of shelves. Throw it in a bench, tailgate, or saw horses and you can out your Coleman camp stove on it and it holds all of your essentials in one place.

We'll also need a lot of propane. I am not expecting it to be cold but we could possibly bring one of those heaters? Who knows. We've got a long time to figure out the shit we need.

my plan is to travel light.. i will not be taking a tent. :thumbup

i have a travel stove that i dont mind getting banged up.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Before we go planning for the second coming of the Camel Trophy, we are talking about only a few days here, right? How long will we be off road? 175 miles over two days? I was actually thinking about sleeping in my rig (removing the back seat). I plan on minimalism. Tools, cooler for food, cooking stove, water...

To quote T-Roc, who brought up a very important question - "do these campsites have shitters"?

Also, Tony, can you post up some plans for that portable kitchen? Sounds pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy

·
Banned
4,446 Posts
Before we go planning for the second coming of the Camel Trophy, we are talking about only a few days here, right? How long will we be off road? 175 miles over two days? I was actually thinking about sleeping in my rig (removing the back seat). I plan on minimalism. Tools, cooler for food, cooking stove, water...

To quote T-Roc, who brought up a very important question - "do these campsites have shitters"?

Also, Tony, can you post up some plans for that portable kitchen? Sounds pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy
you act like you never shit on a rock.:rockon

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
you act like you never shit on a rock.:rockon
I got all civilized when I moved to CA...although...having been in campground shitters before..shitting on a rock seems like the better alternative.

·
RAAAAAH!
937 Posts
Remember, we will be ON OUR OWN out there. I like the idea of packing light but I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of BFE if somebody breaks and they didn't bring what they need to fix it.

Tools, parts, fluids, spare tire, hi-lift, rope, tow points, duct tape, zip ties, hose tape

You don't have to be driving hard for something to go wrong. Things happen, be prepared for that.

I don't think ANYBODY will want to have to leave their truck out there while others have to trek back for parts. How close do you think the closest auto parts store will be?

Keep yourself alive but keep the Bronco alive too.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Remember, we will be ON OUR OWN out there. I like the idea of packing light but I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of BFE if somebody breaks and they didn't bring what they need to fix it.

Tools, parts, fluids, spare tire, hi-lift, rope, tow points, duct tape, zip ties, hose tape

You don't have to be driving hard for something to go wrong. Things happen, be prepared for that.

I don't think ANYBODY will want to have to leave their truck out there while others have to trek back for parts. How close do you think the closest auto parts store will be?

Keep yourself alive but keep the Bronco alive too.
From my personal perspective, my truck has broken down so often that mine will be a brand new rig by the time this happens. That said, all you mentioned and more will be on my rig, but won't take up all that much room.

That is also a good starting point, combined with Charlie's bullet list, of the check list we need to have ready for this.

Charlie, for easy reference, can we get the "checklist" in post #1 broken down into categories: Minimum Food stuffs, Minimum tools, Minimum Gear (CB, etc), Etc...Nearer the trip, we can make it a printable version so everyone has a hardcopy to reference.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Well depending on how much shit i have I'll prolly be in a tent. I don't want to take everything out to sleep.

I'd have to find some plans on the kitchen thing, I'll be building it basically off of memory.

I'll need a shit ton of parts also. We should come up with a minimum parts checklist. U-joints, hose, axle shafts. Lol that kind of shit

·
Certified Asshat
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

I was figuring everyone would bring their own, too, but making group arrangements could work. I am more inclined to think the BBQ would work that way but we leave everybody to their own devices for the other meals...?

There are "pit toilets" at the Thorndike Campground, flush toilets at Furnace Creek Campground and no facilities at all at Big Dune.

I used patrol boxes like the one you described for YEARS. I, for one, would love to have one just for my Bronco. They're great.

Click here for sample plan.

beer and lots of it and maybe a bottle of whiskey, for food burgers and brats or hotlinks :beer

i agree with tonyroc on the roof rack and no back seat more space for storage
Something like that... but with lots more water.

my plan is to travel light.. i will not be taking a tent. :thumbup

i have a travel stove that i dont mind getting banged up.
I'm not taking a tent, either. I'll sleep in the truck or under the stars.

Camel Trophy! ha!

175 miles - three days(ish) in the desert. You should be consuming at least a gallon per day in water. Yes, I know... you won't. But you should. But Tullio has it right...

156 miles (by road) from Furnace Creek to AutoZone.

I completely agree that we should all be over-prepared. Too much water is just enough. Bring a hat even if you don't wear hats. I can go on and on about the things that have happened out there but the guys who aren't gonna listen don't care and the guys who do care are already thinking about it now.

From my personal perspective, my truck has broken down so often that mine will be a brand new rig by the time this happens. That said, all you mentioned and more will be on my rig, but won't take up all that much room.

That is also a good starting point, combined with Charlie's bullet list, of the check list we need to have ready for this.

Charlie, for easy reference, can we get the "checklist" in post #1 broken down into categories: Minimum Food stuffs, Minimum tools, Minimum Gear (CB, etc), Etc...Nearer the trip, we can make it a printable version so everyone has a hardcopy to reference.
New truck or not, bring spare U-joints, duct tape, grease, fluids, belts and any spare small parts you have - like a random leftover alternator, zip ties or hose clamps. YOUR truck might not need it, but somebody's may. Hi-Lift is a given if you own one. The tools are a great idea... especially the ones you know are specialty items that you can't use a Leatherman or a crescent wrench on... like the 5/16" 12-point bit for your U-joint flange.

I will start assembling a list for the humans and a list for the Fords. You guys feel free to chime in with whatever you think of. We're gonna over prepare for it and that's a good thing. We'll be ready when one of us breaks down or gets stuck.

And I'll bring the tow straps. :D I've got like 20 of them now. $10!! :rofl:

·
Banned
4,446 Posts
hahahaha dude i think people are making this this way to crazy..

anyone wanna bring a extra trans or transfercase?? lol

all the video ive seem i still havnt seen anything where somany extra parts will be needed. check your bronco. most of the time ive seen people stuck in a rut. is when it still has mud/dirt/sand from the last run on it. meaning they never took a look at the parts that are holding on by a thread.

start at the front of your bronco and look the whole rig part by part and make sure shit is lubed and greesed and covered..

zip ties and rachet straps are the best. duck tape is a close 2nd.

jb weld is always a + with a lil bit of every fluid that goes in your bronco. if everyone brings enough for there own bronco that means if someones bronco needs a lil more help to get home we all can spare some supplys. (tools, oil, everything listed above)

·
Banned
4,446 Posts
also...

i say we have days when we all get together and work on eachothers broncos. i know not all of us have too much of an extra hand. this way we can all look over eachothers broncos and see if we can see something that would be a week point out on the trip.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
also...

i say we have days when we all get together and work on eachothers broncos. i know not all of us have too much of an extra hand. this way we can all look over eachothers broncos and see if we can see something that would be a week point out on the trip.
excellent idea!

Someone bring a first aid kit!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
There are "pit toilets" at the Thorndike Campground, flush toilets at Furnace Creek Campground and no facilities at all at Big Dune.

I used patrol boxes like the one you described for YEARS. I, for one, would love to have one just for my Bronco. They're great.

Click here for sample plan.
don't really need a toilet, but i was just wondering.

And yes, that's exactly what I am talking about. Obviously, mine will suit my needs more, and probably be smaller.....

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
They way I've always done the food thing for a group is that we plan Bfast and dinner and lunch is sandwiches on the go. Bfast is normally pancakes and bacon/sausage, for dinner we've done the following: chili, burritos/tacos, burgers, hot links and steaks. Any left over fixins from the burrito/taco mix, we make "manifold burritos" for lunch the next day. I suggested the group meal thing because for a four (4) day trip, it will run each person about $35.00 each (for a 8 man group) and then at the end of the trip we split up the left over food amongst the group. The nice thing about the group meal thing is that only one person needs to bring a stove, someone else brings the cooking utensils and the food is spread amongst everyone. I do have a chuck box that has all the required essentials (pots, pans, cooking utensils, silverware, etc.). This leaves more room for other things like water, spare parts, fire wood, tools, etc.

This is just a suggestion, it's your call and I still don't know if I'll be able to make it.

·
Certified Asshat
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'm liking this a lot more after your clarification. I can friggin rock the Dutch oven (yeah, I cook. What?) on the dinners. The way you explain it, it seems so reasonable.

What do you guys think about this... we Ziggy the meals (you've been verbed, my friend) but anybody who opts out can do so. The only issue is that we have to know how many people we're feeding in advance AND have to collect more money... not a problem, but something to consider nonetheless. That way, the guy who wants to bring nothing but his Bronco, a beanbag chair, Cheetos and beer (I'm looking your general direction, Jon) can do that but the rest of us can eat pretty damn well and without having everybody pack their own stoves, cooking gear, etc.

And as cheesy as it sounds, I've always wanted to try manifold cooking. :brownbag

41 - 60 of 306 Posts