Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 78 Bronco and basically am having to rebuild entire thing. automatic.
My problem now after doing all the engine work to it is when i get up to about 35 mph the front end about falls off if you know what i mean.
put new dual rancho steering stabilizers on and it really didnt change anything so now i need some more suggestions. thought it was alignment maybe but i took it to the shop and it was only an eighth of an inch off so now do i need new drag link and track bar? or ball joints? any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
:duh

·
Registered
171 Posts
How are your tires? On my 300zxt i had, the tires had bubbles/defects on them and the car would shake so bad, i couldn't go past 45mph.

·
Registered
355 Posts
is it bouncing up and down or more of a side to side shaking motion? how are the bushings on your track bar? bushings fixed it for me.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
drag link, trac bar, tie rods, shock towers...check and make sure the bushings are fine and ends are tight. Any bushing you find under the front end, inspect. Anything that has a bolt going through it on the front end, tighten it. You may also wanna do ball joints. Sure, you can go through part by part, but it's been my experience, if one is bad, they're all bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires i believe are fine as far as defect goes. not quite sure how balanced they are. and it is a side to side shaking. thought about track bar and drag link, can you buy these bushings or do you have to buy a whole part? have a set of ball joints now just havent put them on yet. any tips on replacing them and answer to the bushing question would be great.

Sincerely, Marc

·
Registered
355 Posts
you can buy just bushings for everything up front. jeffsbroncograveyard has individuals and sets i believe. got mine from there worked out great.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Tires i believe are fine as far as defect goes. not quite sure how balanced they are. and it is a side to side shaking. thought about track bar and drag link, can you buy these bushings or do you have to buy a whole part? have a set of ball joints now just havent put them on yet. any tips on replacing them and answer to the bushing question would be great.

Sincerely, Marc

You can buy the bushings individually. As for ball joints, only real tip I have is freeze them before they go back in. Beyond that, be ready with a BFH and some PB Blaster.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're doing all of it, make sure to remedy the wobbly trac bar stud on the axle tube. And go to a heim, not rubber or poly - they'll just wear out again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am going through the same thing with my 78 right now. Tonight I am changing thr rear radius arm bushings&trac arm bushings to poly. Also am changing everything from the pitman arm to the knuckles.Every end has a small amount of play that is compounded with the lift and 35's I just put on. I'll let you know if it worked.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep fixed it! Took about 3 hrs. I changed the drag link and the tierod. took the track bar off and changed the bushings in it while the drag link was out of the way. I had to use a new high torque impact gun on the radius arm stud nut's, unbolted the mounting brackets put the new bushings on and tighten'd it all back up. Set the toe in and what a huge difference. The whole batch of parts was around $275 from Jeff's. I drilled the old track bar bushings out all around the inside and they came right out. Very easy project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha sounds good bogman. so you did tie rod ends and drag link completely? and trac bar bushings. and that fixed the death wobble, no ball joints yet?

·
Registered
42 Posts
haha sounds good bogman. so you did tie rod ends and drag link completely? and trac bar bushings. and that fixed the death wobble, no ball joints yet?

Balljoint's are nice and tight.Every joint in the steering linkage had a small amount of play so I changed it all. Both tracbar bushings were beat as well as the rear of the radius arm's so I did it all while I was in there. Huge difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha i just ordered trac bar bushings and radius arm sets. idk bout my ball joints but i have it sanded down to paint right now too. so i got alot on my plate. funny how im in georgia and your in mass, come on down and we will bog southern style

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also< for those who dont know My bronco is a 78 351m. six inch suspension and i have 35's running on it right now. looking to go bigger. any suggestions on good tires for the weight of my beast and also what gears to run with them. thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Haha i just ordered trac bar bushings and radius arm sets. idk bout my ball joints but i have it sanded down to paint right now too. so i got alot on my plate. funny how im in georgia and your in mass, come on down and we will bog southern style
Sounds good to me.
Wouldn't mind a chance to hunt Down that way sometime either.

Most would think that my screen name is in reference to mudding,The real origin is that I am a 4th generation cranberry farmer and cranberries grow in a bog.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright. sorry guys i havent been on here in a while. So go figure this. I replaced just about all the bushings in the front end and did some extra modifications which made my bronco ride smooth to about 50 mph now, but then the death wobble would come back in. although this was a great improvement from 35 mph it still wasnt fixed. so actually one day i had the bronco in the shop and we took the front tires off to do some work we noticed that the left front tire was kinda weird feeling. so we balanced it and something crazy came up on the balancer. 16oz out on the outside and 15oz out on the inside. why so weird of weight? well we broke that tire down and i would say there was about a gallon and a half of muddy water in the tire! so we cleaned it out and put the tires back on.(after checking them too) and rode down the road. smooth as a caddilac. so the next time you have some death wobble issues check everything even if you say well that couldnt be it. haha.

tell me what yall think about that one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts