Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my lift, and my bronco has a pretty severe death wobble. The wobble is extreme, and happens consistently at right about 30 mph.

I have 6" TTB drop brackets that I bought, and built my own radius arms.
My first guess is that my caster might be off, since I didn't take great measurements of it before the lift. The vehicle doesn't return to center as much as I would expect it to. I think I might actually have a negative caster now. Anyone have any tips for home-measuring your caster?

My second thought is that maybe my drop pitman isn't dropping enough. Seems to drop about 2".

Lastly maybe work out axle pivot bushings, but I wouldn't expect this much wobble from worn bushings.

Any thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Caster would be a good place to start. After you did your lift did you take it in to a reputable alignment shop? Or did you just start driving it? They should have told you what your caster was.
Have any pictures of the radius arms you fabricated? Are they extended arms? The pitman arm wouldn't normally cause death wobble so I wouldn't worry about that just yet unless you have real bad tie rod angles. Pics help a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirmation on the pitman.
I haven't been able to get it aligned yet. Right now I've got 1 steel wheel, and am searching for an aluminum one to match my other three. Since one of the wheels is offset differently, Les Schwab won't put it on their machine. I've got the toe and camber pretty close myself, and other than not returning to center, and the death wobble, it drives pretty well.

Here's some pics. The arms are indeed extended. I designed them to have an adjustable caster, which is the large bolt you see on the bottom bracket.

A reference of the current angle. Like I said, I didn't record the stock position, so I took a wild guess when assembling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts