Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a 4 inch lift and 35inch tires on it and and the death wobble only comes when i am on the breaks hard, everything is tight the tie rod ends all seem good, does anybody else know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You sure it's the DW and not a warped rotor? It's been my experience that DW usually happens on acceleration or cruising normally around 25mph. If it is DW, did you get it aligned after the lift and tires? If so, it could be any number of things...word bushings on the trac bar, RA's or drag link...shock tower could be loose, ball joints etc. What you need to do is have someone turn the steering wheel slow back and forth and see if you see any play anywhere and then again in a jerky fashion.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Get a steering stabilizer,
Not trying to start a debate in this guys thread...but a stabilizer will do nothing but mask the actual problem until it gets bad enough that the stabilizer will no longer have an effect either. IMO stabilizers should only be used to help prevent bump steer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not trying to start a debate in this guys thread...but a stabilizer will do nothing but mask the actual problem until it gets bad enough that the stabilizer will no longer have an effect either. IMO stabilizers should only be used to help prevent bump steer.
You are 100% correct

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
I do agree. If it is infact death wobble then he has other issues. A lot of the times people just need to do the basic stuff like get an alignment because its just really bad.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have seen caster play a huge part in the death wobble game, for even had a tsb on superdutys for the death wobble and one of the fixes was different caster shims.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem on my 78. When you brake hard the front end drop's,the front end is trying to "rollunder" which is making the caster problem even worse. I had worn/really bad radius arm bushings and trac bar bushngs. I changed them and put a little more toe-in in it and no more problem.
Look at a shopping cart caster,If you go slow it trac's straight. If you push really fast it will wobble. You need some caster to help keep the wheels straight and returning to center but too much will get the wobbles going especally with the hard braking added in.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
mask the actual problem until it gets bad enough that the stabilizer will no longer have an effect either.
Thats when you put 3 of them on :goodfinge

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input you guys. i did put all new bushings in the front end and i have checked everything that i took off and it's all tight, but the thing about the warped rotors could be my problem they aren't to bad but it doesn't help the fact that they actually are a little warped, i guess thats what i will replace next. so thanks for you input you guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts