Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to the fire academy in Fall.

It's a private academy through a local Community College. The one all the local fire fighters go to.

It's 16 weeks long, and i am looking forward to it.

After that, i can hopefully get my foot in the door and at a local volunteer fire department or as a part time dispatcher. And start taking civil service tests out the wazooo.

Any advice you guys have would be helpful.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
fvckin right pal....that is a very noble profession right there. i was going to do that when i came in the military but they had other plans for me.

ken

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I start PT the 7th, four to five weeks.

Going to use the summer to get the shoulder and my lard ass into shape.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
great feild if you can get into it, but think about a back up too, i didnt and now my back is too f-ed up from ems for about 9 years. around here it is very tough to get on anywhere, hopefully it is easier where you are

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blueoval78 said:
great feild if you can get into it, but think about a back up too, i didnt and now my back is too f-ed up from ems for about 9 years. around here it is very tough to get on anywhere, hopefully it is easier where you are
That right there scares me. But with already having the academy under my belt, it will give me extra points on the civil service test, and a city won't have to pay for me to go through it. I am going to follow the academy up with a 2 year degree, a Degree in the Applied Science of fire Technology, which will make me all that more appealing.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plug ugly said:
if you have any questions, pm me. I have taught a few academies, and am an instructor for a few different technical rescue disciplines.
You may regret telling me that.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
That right there scares me. But with already having the academy under my belt, it will give me extra points on the civil service test, and a city won't have to pay for me to go through it. I am going to follow the academy up with a 2 year degree, a Degree in the Applied Science of fire Technology, which will make me all that more appealing.

same here, i was a call firefighter for about 2 years, full acedmey and everything,. took several fire courses at the local college, i took civil service test after civil service test. emt for 9 years and took and nearly finished the paramedic program with very high grades. i never certified, it was a last ditch effort in a chance to save me from burn out, it failed.

even with a 98, i still didnt get offered anything, because there were like 40 other people with a 98, and prob 100 with a better score just in all the towns i had selected.

if there is a city near you, more there, get residency, and put in for a job there, other option is to get on as a cop, and lateral, i tried that, but out here more people go for the cop test than the fire test.

im not trying to knock you down, but for the past 10 years i tried everything to get on anywhere, in the process i managed to get a L4, L5, and S1 back injury which is permant, it isnt muscle, i wish it was. due mainly on lifting fat ****s. and was one of the main reasons for a carrer change for me, that and i really didnt care what happened to anyone in the back of my rig, i was really burnt out.

my point is to do everything you can, but also look at other fields at the same time, you dont want to hold out for 10 years when you could have had a real good opportunity to do something different.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
dont listen to the naysayers. Anyone can get hired, it depends on what you are willing to do to get the job. just because someone says they tried for X years doesnt mean shit. Sorry to insult, but you must not have been trying the right way or been willing to do what was necessary to get the job. what is necessary does include school, classes, etc, but that is not the be all end all. its attitude, enthusiasm, moral aptitude, and personality as well. It took me 6 years, a bachelors degree, fire academy, paramedic license, quiting a 75K a year job, etc etc to get hired. Wanna know what the hardest and best thing i ever did to get hired? Introspection. i had to figure out what I had to do to change, be better, and stand out from the rest of the thousands who want the job.

Like i said, if you want someone to ask some questions to, pm me. BTDT

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congrats Rob, and Good luck with it. I had my medical and psych today for the police academy and like Plug said if you want it bad enough you will get it I had to keep applying(sp?) until I got the shock of my life with a phone call.

Again congrats to finding something you want to do in life.

·
President, Mels fan club.
6,904 Posts
plug ugly said:
dont listen to the naysayers. Anyone can get hired, it depends on what you are willing to do to get the job. just because someone says they tried for X years doesnt mean shit. Sorry to insult, but you must not have been trying the right way or been willing to do what was necessary to get the job. what is necessary does include school, classes, etc, but that is not the be all end all. its attitude, enthusiasm, moral aptitude, and personality as well. It took me 6 years, a bachelors degree, fire academy, paramedic license, quiting a 75K a year job, etc etc to get hired. Wanna know what the hardest and best thing i ever did to get hired? Introspection. i had to figure out what I had to do to change, be better, and stand out from the rest of the thousands who want the job.
Well said:thumbup

Rob, GREAT move man! Good luck to ya:thumbup

PS. get that shoulder better man.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
plug ugly said:

Like i said, if you want someone to ask some questions to, pm me. BTDT
Your right about that, you have to make yourself stand out from everyone else applying. But I just have one honest question for you, if you were a Mexican, black or a female would you have had to put that much effort out?
I have heard some stories from many guys that worked with my dad in the FD (he's retired now) who still work there and they say it gets worse and worse every year.

·
President, Mels fan club.
6,904 Posts
MikE2 said:
Your right about that, you have to make yourself stand out from everyone else applying. But I just have one honest question for you, if you were a Mexican, black or a female would you have had to put that much effort out?
I have heard some stories from many guys that worked with my dad in the FD (he's retired now) who still work there and they say it gets worse and worse every year.

It may have been diffirent back in your dads day, but I can tell you this. My girlfriend works her butt off and she's not even with the fire dept. yet.
She is living off money she doesnt have and couldnt get a job cause of her internship and hours she had to put in. She is happy to be where she's at and still really has nothing to show for it. Not saying you're wrong Mike, just sayin not everyones whats a free ride.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
But alot of people do want a free ride

1 - 20 of 41 Posts