Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a awesome trail and I stumbled on to it totally by accident after staying the night at Scotts Lake( 38.764406,-119.965672) the night before . My pictures don't do this trail justest and I didn't get a lot of them because I was driving and my passenger was to scared to do any thing but look down at her feet the whole time. I took Blue Lakes Road off, high way 88 to go check out the lake and maybe find a campground with a shower. 2 miles from the lake I saw a forestry road side map that said that Deer Valley OHV trail started at Lower Blue Lake. I got to the lake and there was an unmarked fire trail to the left and that turned out to be the trail head. The first 1/3 of the trail is pretty easy going but the whole trail has narrow spots in it and tight turns. theirs little creeks every were that cross the trail.

the other 2/3 of the trail has some real rock crawling on it, than some better road that you can pick up the pace a little on, than a water crossing or two than back to the rock crawling, over and over. It was kind of nice to to have the trail keep changing back and forth from hard wheeling to easy wheeling, to water, to snow.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks awesome. You picked one nice day to go out there too!

The weather was awesome and the day before it was great too.
I was going to statf this trip at Pardoe's Trail, but it turned out to be closed. So after finding the locked gate at the Pardoe's Trail, I started just running the fire trails on the back side of bear lake.

Snow, :shock:

I ran across a guy who was fishing in a creek, who said that there was some good trails further up on highway 88,. he didn't know the name of them or were the turn off was but there up there.
based on this solid information, I took off up high way 88 and just had a look around.

I found a random car show at some lake in the middle of no where .

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Than I took off back up 88 and found a bunch of fire trails that where all marked( trail 79 )

one trail was pretty good, It didn't look like any one had been up it in while and it had some big rocks and dead trees in the way.

about a 1,000 foot drop of on one side of the trail.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trail kept getting narrower and narrower and than it just end. I didn't want to back all the way back down, so I tried to back up the hill side and turn around, but in stead of going up the bronco went up and side ways. I ended up with the passenger front wheel right on that 1,000 foot drop and the drivers side wheel bouncing from 3 inches to 6 inches off the ground.

I ended up winching the bronco back on tho the trail and using the winch to turn it around

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a super bitchen lake at 8,000 feet. I had a whole lake to my self on the 4th of July.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The lake with the car show looks like Silver Lake. I think thats the church in the background I can see. The other one looks like Caples. Both awesome lakes if you like to fish. Theres another nice trail right across from caples lake that goes over to highway 50. Go in to the CalTrans maitenance station road across from the lake and the trail takes off from the west end of the parking lot.
I was actually at upper Blue fishing on saturday and monday. Great weather there the whole weekend.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lake with the car show looks like Silver Lake. I think thats the church in the background I can see. The other one looks like Caples. Both awesome lakes if you like to fish. Theres another nice trail right across from caples lake that goes over to highway 50. Go in to the CalTrans maitenance station road across from the lake and the trail takes off from the west end of the parking lot.
I was actually at upper Blue fishing on saturday and monday. Great weather there the whole weekend.
Thanks Mike, I'll try to find that other trail next time I'm up that way. Do you know the name of the trail?
There was a church at the car show, so that must have been Silver lake.
I think the other lake is Scotts Lake, at least that's what it says on google maps. it was on the other side of 88 and a couple miles east of the Blue Lakes Road. 38.764406 119.965672

·
Registered
339 Posts
The trail taking off from the maintenance station by Caples is Strawberry Trail, it heads over the ridge and comes out by ... Strawberry on Hwy 50. Most of it is pretty easy but there are a few challenging lines you can take toward the end on the 50 side. Kind of a cool shortcut to get between 88 and 50 without going all the way around.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jtg do you have a built tread on your truck or just for your doors? what I like is that you still have a ttb front end any plans on going solid?
The doors are really easy build and most of the work is already done before you even get started. There Nissan pathfinder tire racks.
http://www.uc4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=838&p=11782&hilit=pipe+doors#p11782

I have a bunch of build threads. just let me know what you want to see and I'll dig them up.
Every one loves this one
http://www.norcal4x4forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74

I'll probably go solid axle one day, but for now I don't mind having the TTB. It got me across the Rubicon just fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The trail taking off from the maintenance station by Caples is Strawberry Trail, it heads over the ridge and comes out by ... Strawberry on Hwy 50. Most of it is pretty easy but there are a few challenging lines you can take toward the end on the 50 side. Kind of a cool shortcut to get between 88 and 50 without going all the way around.
Thanks,
It would be a really cool trip to come into Deer Valley on the highway 4 side and then jump over to the Strawberry trail and run it.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I think the other lake is Scotts Lake, at least that's what it says on google maps. it was on the other side of 88 and a couple miles east of the Blue Lakes Road. 38.764406 119.965672
Yeah that is Scotts. It looked like the dam at Caples...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah that is Scotts. It looked like the dam at Caples...

It's a super bitchen little lake that has a lot of trout in it. and no body there to catch them. I just built a Kayak rack for the bronco yesterday and I'm first going to take it to Buck Island lake fishing, but I'm going to Scotts Lake after that.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Suspension 4"or 6"?
Diff. 9" or 8.8?
Gears ?
And what's the red thing at the middle of the chassis?
Sorry for all the questions I spent some time norcal4x4 and all I saw was the rear bumper at least the first parts and the two that you posted

1 - 20 of 43 Posts