Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are you fellows out there that have ways to pass smog even though you wouldn't otherwise. For example I have heard:

1. Adding alcohol to your gas
2. Draining oil to a low state

I am not talking about "knowing" someone. If you have a tip to help pass smog drop it here. :thumbup

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
kill the smog testing liberals? sorry no real advice couldn't help myself hope it works out tho

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Fixing your emissions system is a good way to pass the sniffer test, as well as the visual test.

But clearly, you're one of those guys that HAS to be a rebel, because rebels are cool.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixing your emissions system is a good way to pass the sniffer test, as well as the visual test.

But clearly, you're one of those guys that HAS to be a rebel, because rebels are cool.

Clearly I am a rebel.. Thats why I was trying to pass california smog. The only thing failing is the part about unburnt fuel. I was hoping to find something that could help burn that fuel so that I could pass smog... It was over by like 2 or 3 numbers... All my emission "crap" works. If it came with my truck then I will make sure it still works.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Start a lighter and stick it up your exhaust pipe:thumbup

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
check out sixlitres tune up.
i bet you just need to tune the motor and check your timing. are you throwing codes?

also search around the forums, this subject comes up a lot so there is plenty to read.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Clearly I am a rebel.. Thats why I was trying to pass california smog. The only thing failing is the part about unburnt fuel. I was hoping to find something that could help burn that fuel so that I could pass smog... It was over by like 2 or 3 numbers... All my emission "crap" works. If it came with my truck then I will make sure it still works.
unburnt fuel will kill the cats if they aren't burned out already

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Wonder what a couple gallons of nitro rc gasoline would do to your motor? OR some strong Grain alcohol?

Don't know...I know a guy, sorry.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Wonder what a couple gallons of nitro rc gasoline would do to your motor?
1: It's not gasoline
2: It would probably kill your engine

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
1: It's not gasoline
2: It would probably kill your engine
A couple of gallons... yes, a container or two of pure achol.will make any truck pass smog. Just make sure that you only have a few gallons of gas in your truck when you put it in and you fill up after the test.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
A couple of gallons... yes, a container or two of pure achol.will make any truck pass smog. Just make sure that you only have a few gallons of gas in your truck when you put it in and you fill up after the test.
I was actually talking about the glow fuel. I don't know anything about the alcohol.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Nevermind, just checked.. I thought you were one of the guys that jumped on the 'gut my cats' bandwagon in another recent thread... sorry about that.

High HC would be your second converter on your exhaust system, and like RoW said, if your truck was running rich for a while or something, it's possible that it could have burned it out. You may just be up for a new cat now.

I've heard good things about STP's "Guaranteed to Pass" stuff. Give that a try... also, run the truck hard before you pull into get it tested and get the cats nice and hot.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
86 Beast:

I just went thru this recently with unburned fuel and the BKO wouldn't pass smog, it turned out that I have a dead cylinder on #2 no compression. I'm not saying that's your problem. :cry

You can apply thru the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) of CA and if you "income qualify" you can get up $500.00 FREE smog diagnosis and repair at a designated approved gold seal station.
I managed to get 1 year by thru Referee to fix with current tags, but I'm planning a rebuild. :chili:

Just check www.dmv.ca.gov and it's under "rerpair assistance program" with all the details, you can even download the application.

First you need to diagnose and see what you come up with, I'm assuming by your signature yours is an 1986 EFI....? If so "PULL CODES" :banghead

You can use Guaranteed to Pass etc. there's a number of threads on Cali smog so you'll have to "search" but there is some good advice.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
777 Posts
RC fuel is nothing like diesel.

Glow fuel is Nitromethane, Methanol and an Oil. I wouldn't put that in a fuel system that couldn't be drained and flushed. That green slime Methanol makes when it reacts with aluminum is sure nasty.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/rc-nitro-fuel.htm

besides, nitromethane carries a lot of oxygen, and would probably just burn lean and drive up the combustion temps which would drive up the NOx. Not to mention the unburned hydrocarbons from the oil in the RC fuel would make the current issue worse.

I'd like to see the smog report, kind of give a starting place to diagnose the problem. Any chance of posting that report?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
600 Posts
Clearly I am a rebel.. Thats why I was trying to pass california smog. The only thing failing is the part about unburnt fuel. I was hoping to find something that could help burn that fuel so that I could pass smog.
i flamethrower kit would do wonders. Not sure if the inspector would appreciate it but hell the unburnt fuel wouldnt be a problem

1 - 20 of 38 Posts