Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

defroster + a/c makes engine die

957 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  votum 
#1 ·
Okay so when I turn on my defroster my engine will die (at idle). Seems to only happen when its raining or the humidity is up. Nice sunny, dry day it doesn't do it. If the heater is on vent or floor no issues. I'm thinking the cam might be causing this as a vacuum issue. I never had this issue until I did the rebuild. I installed a FMS E303 cam and it now has that nice loap from the cam. Anybody have this problem before? Ain't no big deal but if I come to a light and forget to turn the switch, I'll stall.:banghead And that sucks.

#3 ·
truck is SD. But other than this issue it runs strong. I just dropped it off to get 3 inch exhaust done as I type. Was going to get duels but you guys and the exhaust guy talked me out of it. Should sound sweet. And who knows maybe since the truck will breathe better maybe I won't have this problem no more.

#5 ·
What I don't understand is if it is a vacuum issue then why does it only do it when its moist outside. And the motor seems to run great other than this issue. Should I change it to mass air and how hard would that be? What benefits would I get from changing it over besides the stalling problem with the defroster. I will check all the vacuum lines when I get it back from the exhaust shop later today. I'm quite sure that they are all on.

#6 ·
Loading an engine with an E303 cam at idle is just asking for Death. Hell, us Mustang guys have a helluva time just getting them to idle all by themselves, even on MAF-equipped 'stangs.

I don't think you need to convert to MA. You need to get that POS camshaft out of there.

#7 ·
Well the cam is going to stay in there because the truck has a whole LOT more power and if this is the only issue then I can live with it. Hell I have no problems with the idle, just on defrost. And to pull the cam back out...... too much time to do it as I'm working 6 days/10 hours.

#9 ·
So, now its two years later and I have the solution for my problem. The past two years I've had my A/C compresser unpluged. Well, its been hot and I found out a few months after the last post that my compresser was seizing up because the belt would start smoling when the compresser kicked in. So I replaced the compresser a couple weeks ago. I now no longer have this issue. Thought maybe the E-cam was causing this issue but it actually was my compresser dying out. Now I once again can use my A/C and defroster, and not have this issue.

#10 ·
You sir are my hero. My engine has been dying every time I turn AC on and idle. Engine wont even start with AC on, and it runs fine when I am driving, but first stop I make and go into idle it dies, or when I drop into neutral before a turn or something, etc.

Eh...where/how much did you get yours for?? I think I may unplug it first to see if it stops before replacing it, seems to be 250+ online.\

You may be able to help a guy over in the newb question section who has this same issue (probably)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.