Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I did a search in here and General Help for a transmission problem similar to this one with no matches so I figured I'd post in case anyone has experienced the same thing.

I've owned my 1989 Bronco with a 351 and automatic C6 for 2 months now and I live in Boston so it's always been cold relatively speaking when I start the vehicle, when the truck has been started after sitting overnight or for a day or two(this doesn't happen if it's been running in the past hour or two) then when I shift into reverse there is sometimes a pause(was about 5 seconds in today's 20something degree weather) before the transmission completes the shift(same with drive though only about 1 or 2 seconds) and when it does make the shift the RPM dips way low to the point of almost stalling. I know my idle RPM in park is a bit high as I need to clean my IAC but would this effect shifting into drive and reverse?

The engine shifts perfectly fine between the driving gears by the way and is fine when moving...there is alot of vibration in the vehicle in general until it has driven around for about 10 minutes and then it is smooth and quiet..I have a feeling the transmission may be the source of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
When did you last change the filter and ATF ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't changed the filter and fluid yet as I've only had the vehicle two months...no garage and doing it in a parking lot seems daunting at the moment due to the cold and whatnot. My guess it has been neglected though, when I got the vehicle it had water instead of antifreeze(in Boston, in WINTER..if I hadn't found out my block woulda been gone within a week or two seeing as I street park) and no air filter at all installed.

Is it common for transmission fluid to be affected by temperature on startup? Should I try adding a little Lucas ATF or something to it get things going alittle better perhaps until it warms up enough or I find someone with a garage to let me do the new filter ATF install.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
find someone with a garage so you can drop the pan. read Sixlitres write-up on an external filter, i'm ASSuming it is the same for a C6 (he has an AOD).

just search something for external filter. Six whores that thing everytime he gets a chance :goodfinge

i'm actually surprised he didn't say anything in this post. :shrug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts