Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is a new one I could not find with a search, and in fact the Dealership is having a lot of trouble with it too.

Specs:

1992 EB with 5.8l, 225,000kms (140K miles)
3yr old MSD Ignition, coil, dist, & wires
Plugs 3yrs old as well.
K&N Drop-in kit

History:

About three months ago I noticed the truck started requiring extended cranks to start. Adequate power, 3-5 seconds crank time, and ran well after startup with a very occasional lopey idle. Could not tell a big difference between hot or cold starts, but cold were the most obvious.

Problem progressively got worse, cranked up to 10-12 seconds, intermittent firing, then started and ran OK. Some power loss according to ass dyno.

Dropped truck to dealer mid December, and they replaced the cam stator assembly, as it was not done when the MSD system was installed. Started slightly better while at the dealership, and did run better with return of power.

No useful codes were found.

Today:

About a day after the Cam Stator was installed, it started acting up agian. Even longer cranks required, up to 15 seconds, with intermittent firing. Once running it was fine.

Returned to dealer, and they cleaned the idle air control, and it worked perfectly. They ordered a new one, but when it was installed the truck would not start at all. Old one was put back in.

No useful codes were found.

Now it either starts and runs perfectly, or doesn't start at all. If I start it ten times in a row, I can get either result at random. Nothing seems to affect it, and the problem condition isn't consistent enough for the tech to trace.

I don't want to take the truck back if it is just going to keep doing this, but the tech said is started the last three days perfectly. They have not road tested it, so they will do that today, and then let it sit and cool before a final starting test.

Fuel flow and pressure has tested fine, and it runs slightly rich for a second after long cranks and pumps, so it is getting gas.

The interesting thing is that the tech said he did notice during the earlier visit (before cam stator) that there was no spark for the first 3 seconds or so of cranking, but then it ramped up the voltage and began firing. Once running it tested fine. He tried new coil and other parts, but no fix.

Any Ideas????

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check all your grounds, and test your ignition module?
:shrug
Yeah i suggested grounds, and the ignition mod supposedly checked out.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:stupid It could be the MSD unit or the associated wiring. Try bypassing the MSD and go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts