Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of the emissions crap can I delete?

Remove cat, egr valve, block off back of heads, smog pump, several large canisters on the pass fender, etc
How will this affect the 1992 truck 302?
Did this in my ole 905.0 lx and it cleaned up the engine bay a lot and if anything better drivability.

·
Administrator
22,840 Posts
quick question? why?...
remember the vehicle was designed to run best with all that "CRAP" on it...
unless you are going full blown built motor I doubt you will ever notice a difference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really thinking I was going to "pickup" any additional HP. Mainly just trying to clean up the engine bay a little also smog pumps on the 5.0 mustangs are prone to lock up.

That big coffee can thing and his friends just look, well, messy.

Not to mention the big rusty egr valve

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
First off, you need a reason to remove it all before you do. And so far you havn't given a good one.

Second, you have shown that you don't know what part goes with what system. Learn your truck before you go taking things apart.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Is there a better way to learn?
yes. use the search function here, and go buy yourself a hayne's and a chilton's manual and read them.

Emission equipment is controlled by the computer, the computer adjusts to get the truck to run correctly, if you remove the emission equipment, you're going to need to make adjustments to you computer in order to compensate. a 92 is an electronically controlled truck, it's not carbed, if you start yanking shit out like the EGR, you're going to ruin the way your truck is running.

I strongly suggest you don't remove any of it, since you thought your vacuum canister was part of your emissions system, until you educate yourself further.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yer 302 is very similar to what's in my Lincoln - I have completely removed the emissions stuff on that car, but I'm bringing the EGR back online this summer.

Here's what you can go without:
- smog pump
- air injection pipe behind heads
- all associated plumbing and diverter valves
- the vacuum lines that run said diverter valves

Here's what you should keep:
- EGR
- EVR
- small vacuum canister if present (tis for the EVR and EGR)
- big vacuum canister (tis for HVAC purposes)

The smog pump and air injection system serve one purpose only - blow air in yer cat(s) to help them warm up faster, there's no performance gains associated with its removal but it greatly cleans up the engine bay and makes for easier access to other more vital engine components (such as spark plugs). The EGR now is a whole lot different game, yer truck uses it as inert gas to run more advance and a leaner mixture at cruise and part-throttle, it makes for more power and better fuel economy. In my Lincoln from all emissions things I left only the EVR & EGR active, also ran new vacuum lines for it - that car with sticky 245/60 tires, massive brushguard, big functional hood scoop, and spare wheel mounted behind rear bumper, she pulled 28mpg on a looong road trip two summers ago, and was also very consistent in the 24-25mpg range at 75mph. EGR got disabled during some other issues and also as a performance test, but like I said it will be working again once car is brought back to life in May or June.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I learn better by getting my hands dirty. But I do have a Hayes manuel and I have been reading it (just got it yesterday so I am only to chapter 4 Fuel and exhaust systems). No vacuum canisters yet.

So what is it for. (never had a car with a vacuum much less one in a canister)

As far as deleting the emissions. I have done this and seen it done on many 90 -93 5.0 h.o.non-carb engines. No check engine light, running/driving problems what so ever.

What are the major differences between the "truck" 302 and a 302 h.o. I know the intake and cam are different.

Also what heads are on the bronco 302's

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yer 302 is very similar to what's in my Lincoln - I have completely removed the emissions stuff on that car, but I'm bringing the EGR back online this summer.

Here's what you can go without:
- smog pump
- air injection pipe behind heads
- all associated plumbing and diverter valves
- the vacuum lines that run said diverter valves

Here's what you should keep:
- EGR
- EVR
- small vacuum canister if present (tis for the EVR and EGR)
- big vacuum canister (tis for HVAC purposes)

The smog pump and air injection system serve one purpose only - blow air in yer cat(s) to help them warm up faster, there's no performance gains associated with its removal but it greatly cleans up the engine bay and makes for easier access to other more vital engine components (such as spark plugs). The EGR now is a whole lot different game, yer truck uses it as inert gas to run more advance and a leaner mixture at cruise and part-throttle, it makes for more power and better fuel economy. In my Lincoln from all emissions things I left only the EVR & EGR active, also ran new vacuum lines for it - that car with sticky 245/60 tires, massive brushguard, big functional hood scoop, and spare wheel mounted behind rear bumper, she pulled 28mpg on a looong road trip two summers ago, and was also very consistent in the 24-25mpg range at 75mph. EGR got disabled during some other issues and also as a performance test, but like I said it will be working again once car is brought back to life in May or June.
Thanks great info

·
Registered
712 Posts
Vacuum is what yer engine pulls all the time, also referred to as "manifold vacuum" - if you hook up a vacuum/pressure gauge to a port in yer manifold it will read well on the vacuum side, unless you got a blower or turbo and that's nicely spooled. The canister is a vacuum reservoir, tis needed when you go WOT and the manifold vacuum drops to near zero, yer HVAC system is entirely vacuum-controlled so if there was no vacuum reserve somewhere it would default to heat through the defrost vents every time you floor the skiny pedal. You know how folks who bag their trucks and cars need a tank for the pressurized air - that's kinda what function the canister serves, only for vacuum and not pressurized air.

As far as deleting the emissions. I have done this and seen it done on many 90 -93 5.0 h.o.non-carb engines. No check engine light, running/driving problems what so ever.
CEL should have been tripped, the ECM expects the EGR to be there, if it can't find it it defaults to a "safe" advance curve and A/F mixture. You sure those CEL bulbs were not just burnt out or simply removed cause the owners got pissed at looking at 'em?

What are the major differences between the "truck" 302 and a 302 h.o. I know the intake and cam are different.
Trucks got batch-fire EFI (hell if I know why, tis inferior to the SEFI cars used), also flat-tappet cam till '94 or so. Parts are readily available for a roller cam and true-SEFI conversion tho - Dennie's '86 lifted F150 with a roller 351 and true-SEFI pulls steady 16mpg while running at 75mph with the 4x4 engaged, in 2wd tis in the 20+ zone consistently, and that's with crappy winter gasoline and low ambient air temperatures.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
These two statements combined, lead me to believe you know absolutely nothing about cars.

Do not remove your emission equipment for useless reasons like "i want to clean up my engine bay"

The factory installed it there for a reason.

The increase in M.L.S.C.'s Lincoln, which is geared differently, will not reflect in your Bronco.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
These two statements combined, lead me to believe you know absolutely nothing about cars.

The increase in M.L.S.C.'s Lincoln, which is geared differently, will not reflect in your Bronco.
:stupid

Thats a nicely maintained, clean engine bay you got there, BTW. I'd leave it alone, if for nothing else than because it doesnt look ****ed with.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do not remove your emission equipment for useless reasons like "i want to clean up my engine bay"
That is actually a valid reason - if said emissions equipment don't do jack, which is the case with the thermactor stuff. Also he does bring up a good point with the infamous smog pump seizures.

Yah, marginally lower emissions cause 'em cats warm up in 5 minutes instead of 10. That's the reason behind the thermactor system, and is also why said system can be removed without any adverse effect on the engine's performance in any way. Of course it is necessary that you know what part is what for in that whole mess, which I think he can use a little help with.

Just to clarify - increase of what? Maybe you misread my post, but there ain't no increase of nothing associated with 5.0 emissions components removal. None! You will actually see a decrease of power and fuel economy if you mess with the EGR, based on the ECM's logic that's pretty much guaranteed, no matter what vehicle that 5.0 is moving, and how that vehicle is geared. Bottom line, leave the EGR be, have at it with the thermactor if so desired.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Wow just Wow. Actually I know nothing about 92 broncos. As far as mustangs and lsx cars I know enough to get buy.

As far as emissions I will worry about that in 15 to 20 years when we get emissions testing.

Sorry guys just never had a vehicle with a vacuum canister on it before. And it seems like M.L.S.C. Is the only one who could give me an answer of what it really did not "it holds vacuum"

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
actually disable your smog pump and try going through emissions....it will fail! trust me I have had to repair many. so yes its functional and yes its needed. true it does not affect performance of the engine but it does affect the tailpipe emissions(all the time not just cold). Also just because your town does not emission test does not mean you need to dump all this just because(you want to clean up the engine bay). Just think about how your helping speed up our death of the auto. yes we will be running around in electric shit boxes before too long

Oh and I think we need to set a rule of how FSB does not support emissions removal :goodfinge

1 - 20 of 34 Posts