Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Bronco XLT, 5.0 EFI, C6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey together,

now I'm going forward...while I have had some oil-wet outlet on the exhaust mainfold, I'm going to remove the cylinder heads...while removing the intake mainfold, I have found this:
Water Automotive tire Organism Terrestrial plant Tread

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Wood

Automotive tire Bedrock Road surface Wood Asphalt

Is this something "normal"? I know, this cars has run about some 100.000 miles and above...but the deposits are about 1/2 of an inch...so I'm going to clean this mess up and remove the heads next week.
Have you seen such a dirt of oil and soot annyway? Is this normal or is this caused by "un-normal" conditions?

Thanks for your reply...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks for that!
Yeah, my plan to continue was nearly as you mentioned:
  • removing the heads and clean them up
  • check the cylinders, pistons and the rings
  • remove and clean the oil-pan
  • check the connecting rod and crankshaft bearings

I thought this mess may have to do with the exhaust gas recirculation...but it doesn't seems so, if I follow your experience.

The Bronco runs good, as I've bought it in January. Everything sounds normal, acceleration and speed was good...so no way to expect what I have found there...

I need the Bronco for holidays in December with the kids...so as I have to drive about 1,500 miles, I want to be sure, that the old boy is able to do that :LOL:

My "oldies" (I have three of them) gets new engine oil, fuel filters and sparks every year.
Every second year new gear-oil, differential-oil and cooling water. So, if the enginne is still solid, It will be last some more years in my hands. You have to mention, that I'm from germany...I drive about 10,000 miles per year at maximum with that car... ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi together. Thanks for the replys!

@Caddylackn
Thanks for the detailed manual. I will check all necessary things and see how deep the rebuild has to be.

Also @BigBlue 94
Yes, I also think it's necessary to rinse everything. I will try it like @Caddylackn with diesel. Never heared this before.

I also can get a 400cui engine for replacement. But this engine is also used, and the current owner suggested also to rebuild it to be sure. As I use the Bronco as daily vehicle, and need it for holidays in December, it will may be the same afford. The 400cui also has no injection, so I think the fuel consumption may be much higher. I can't imagine that the injection of my 302cui will fit on the 400cui...

So, let's wait until I have removed the heads and see what's below...o_O

The good thing is, that I have finished my exhaust...I will post some photos as far as my pit is free again. Currently my Buggy blocks it while waiting for the correct PU-bearing for the front axle.:sleep:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Kacz0351
Thanks for this. My answer has taken some time...very busy at work...

By now I'm cleaning the intake mainfold. Currently it sleeps in a tub of diesel...

I have decided to remove the engine. As I have a full set of seals, I also can change the backside crankshaft seal and the most important thing is, that I can work and clean the engine better than when it's installed.

I hope I'll get the engine out without removing the whole front...My plan is to first remove the heads and then the rest of the engine...

Glove Safety glove Gesture Finger Tar

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Grey

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Wood Grey Twig Wire Bicycle part

Wood Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Auto part

I think I also need all new injectors...I will send some photos of the engine, when I have removed it tomorrow...
Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah...don't ask...the rest of the car is very, very tidy. No rust and a good interior. Also the engine's outside was OK. It runs good as I've bought it...So no way to expect what's inside... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK...now the heads are off..luckily everything looks good. The cylinders, the pistons, the heads as it self.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Gear Rim

The waste inside were not inside the cylinders...

So I have to change some parts and I need your help for some...

But first about the cylinder-head screws...can I re-use them? I have bought new ones from Mahle, but this ones don't have the fiiting at the shaft...the have a full threat. I have boght this ones: RockAuto
My original looks like this: RockAuto

My Alternator has to be changed...but I don't find the right one at RockAuto...here is my original:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

Wood Gas Machine Automotive tire Electric blue

Here is what I can get: RockAuto

About the injectors: I seem to don't have the original Bosch as @Kacz0351 said... so I have decided to by new ones Rockauto

I also ask myself if it will be useful to replace the AGR-Vent:
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

Next weekend I will remmove the oil-pan to check the crankshaft and piston bearing.
Is there any trick to remove the pan? Only way to lift the engine? I also need new engine bearings...

Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts