Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the midst of taking out the 302 in my 89' and about to yank the engine but have one problem. I need to get the fuel lines off and depressurize the fuel lines. The problem is, the only way i've heard of to depressurize the lines is with the engine running, while turning off the inertia switch to cut off fuel flow to the engine. Unfortunatley, everything is unbolted from the engine except the fuel lines. Thus meaning i can't run the engine to depressurize it. Does anyone have an alternate way that they know of with out running the engine to depressurize it? i don't want to cut the lines because they have the snap together connectors on the ends and i don't want to have to buy new ones. Also cutting the lines would result in the gas spurting all over the place until the pressure subsided. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Poke a hole in the fuel filter. :thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
pres sthe schrader valve that should do it

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
Get a vacuum pump and pull vacuum on the fuel pressure regulator this should bleed off the excess pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys, i'm gonna pull the lines off when i get home from school and see what happens. The truck hasn't been run in over a month so there may not be any pressure in them. Thanks,

Jeff

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
theres also a bleedoff on the fuel rail:shrug

dc
Thats the schrader valve everyones talking about:thumbup

Some vehicles manuals tell you to pull the fuel pump fuze and run it till it runs out of gas and continue to start it a few times. I just did a 4.0 exploder and barely any gas came out of the lines.

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where exactly is this schraeder valve on the frame rails? You guys have been a great help so far and i plan on posting here on all my truck's progress. Thanks again,

Jeff

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Just disconnet the lines already. The only time you should be conserned about it is if you just had it running. It's been long enough, I wouldn't even worry about it, do however, wear safety glasses.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here is a pic of what the schrader valve is. It's on the fuel rail, not the frame rail.

But like everyone else says, just disconnect the line. There shouldn't be any pressure left.

Solid.
:beer

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
So you're guys are saying that it's not necessary to use the inertia switch to change a fuel filter on an 1986.
Steve83: I looked at some of your pics and it looks like the fast disconnect clips in the diagram for fuel filter could be used up on top for the in-line with or without the garter spring?

Some where I read the garter spring was a recall and mine came apart "pissing"fuel all over.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
What we are saying is after a couple of days the pressure in the fuel line has dropped to the point that it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
If your 86 isn't EFI fuel line presure isn't an issue. If it is EFI and its still startable start it, trip the inertia switch, wait til it dies, turn key off, begin work, complete work, RESET INERTIA SWITCH, start truck. If its not startable, put on saftey glasses and depress schrader valve.

·
Registered
604 Posts
lol i have an 86 an never seen my inertia switch an i changed my fuel filter after driving it, never got sprayed. Only time i ever got sprayed was with a windstar :shrug

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
You want to depressurize the fuel line. This is very important! I didn't depressurize the fuel line on my last bronco and I ended up getting gas sprayed in my face so I turned my head and closed my eyes. Then I ended up with an ear full of gas. Let me tell you, you don't want that to happen. It was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. I ended up going to emergency. The intense pain lasted for hours. Trust me, you don't want to go through that.

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
Yeah mine is an 1986 EFI 302 and my inertia switch is right at the firewall carpet line just a tad to the right of the tranny hump in plain view.

Is the schrader valve in the same place on my 86, the pic above shows a 1990 and works like a valve stem, press the center? I plan to do this Sat. I've had the FSB for two years so I'm sure it needs changing.
I've been running Sea Foam in the tank with every fill up for the last 6-8 fills and it's amazing the difference in performance right away. So I'm thinking things should be cleaner through out.
Thanks Guys!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts