Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first of all, thank you for taking the time to read my post. Sorry for the length but I want to be as specific as possible, so here it is...

I bought a 1996 Ford Bronco from an independent online auctioneer in Texas, from the city of La Porte, TX. I went down personally to inspect the car, prior to bidding on it, and flat out asked the auto-mechanical supervisor if the vehicle had been in a flood, fire, or salvaged. His answer was of course not because they wouldn't have sold it then. I also went to Autocheck.com and printed out a car history report saying the vehicle had been in neither a flood, fire, or had been salvaged. I specifically asked the auto-mechanic supervisor if I could take the vehicle to a certified mechanic, but he told me that I couldn't remove the vehicle from the premises.
After bidding on the vehicle and winning the auction, I was given the print-out of the car's history. I also was given the Bronco's Texas title with nothing on it saying the vehicle had been in a flood.
It was not until I moved from Texas to California that I began to notice severe problems in the truck shifting gears. I looked over the vehicle print-out provided by the La Porte mechanic, and I saw the vehicle had been in water up to its headlights, with 2" of water in the cabin. I took it to a Goodyear here in California that diagnosed the problem to be the transmission failing. I then took it too a transmission shop to find the damage due to water, and the transmission would need to be replaced for approximately $2,000.
I have already registered the truck in California so I do not have the original Texas title, but the California title still does not say it has flood damage. Also, the receipt from the transmission shop says that the transmission had water damage. I also still have the city's mechanic print-out saying it had water damage.
Does the Texas Lemon Law apply to this case?? **What should I say when calling up the city of La Porte telling them of what has happened?** Should I ask for compensation just for the transmission since other things could be damaged from the flood (although the flood did occur a few years ago)?
Thank you again for taking the time to read the post!

Greg

P.S. I apologize for the re-post, but I wanted to see if any of you living in Texas had any knowledge on the issue.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
id go for fraud- lemon law applies towards the manufacturer producing a faulty product...
ace

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I think your only recourse against the auction house would be fraud, and it is weak. As you have a written document provided by the auction house stating flood damage vs a verbal statement from them saying it was not, I doubt you have much of a leg to stand on. It was disclosed, just not until after the auction.

However, you might have a valid claim against the vehicle history company. Odds are, the vehicle was at auction for an insurance company. If that is the case, it means the vehicle was purchased by the insurance company from a flood victim. So, the flood damage should have been reported and intercepted by the vehicle history company, which you say it was not. If the flood damage was not reported as it should have been, then the insurance company might be liable for hiding information. Do some homework and you might have a case.

As for the lemon law, I doubt anyone in Texas is going to endorse a lemon law claim on the failure of a ten year old transmission. If they did, all the automakers would be screwed by the precedent.

Good luck with the Bronco and welcome to the club. Most of us have flood damaged Bronco's too, The only difference is that we intentionally get our Bronco's in that much water.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
BigWheelz said:
Good luck with the Bronco and welcome to the club. Most of us have flood damaged Bronco's too, The only difference is that we intentionally get our Bronco's in that much water.
This is what I was thinking too. Water in the tranny doesn't mean it was actually in a flood. I do sugesst changing ALL the fluids ASAP though, especially t-case and diffs if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
100 Posts
was it a city of La porte bronco?? or an auction. if was the city of La porte do you remember the name of the mechanical supervisor?? im local to La porte and ill see if i can help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.