Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Now that I have the axle on my 93 bronco fixed. I'm going to start looking at parts for my SAS on the 85. I've been going round and round about what locker to get. Pretty much it was between, Detroit, ARB, Eaton e-locker, Detroit Electrac. Since I dont' want a Full time locker Detroit is out. And come to find out tonight it doesn't look like Eaton is making a E-locker for the D44. So that leaves me with the ARB and Electrac.

I'm leaning towards the Electrac because it has the LS as well as fully locked. From my experience and talkin to other in the club, Most of the time an open Diff will get you where you want. And most time a LS will help alot. Rarly is a fully locked needed. Anyways That brings me to the Electrac. I'm leaning towards it. Wanted to know if anyone here on the board has run one or atleast seen one in action. My biggest worry is the Actuator, It seems to be kinda volnurable. Seems from what I've read that is the only issue people are having with it.

So if ya know anyone that uses it I'd like to know what they think about it.

Picture of the Diff. cover on a Rear D44 of a Jeep.

Here is a close up Picture of the Actuator and the protection they make. Looks like it would be pretty safe after you factor in your tire rods will be there also to take the blow of rocks.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Zoso has some friends that have it on there EB. I was driving behind them the whole time. They said they seem to love it, and never had to lock it while on the trail.

Maybe zoso will chime in a bit. Try a search though this was brought up in another thread where I Think he replied.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Those boxes have been breaking off the diff covers.

And it's definitely in a location where it will get hit -- my tie rod alone will attest to that. The diff cover has taken a couple of good hits, too.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the basics of the actuator. But I want to know how it performs. I did a thread earlier this year but it's been awhile Wanted to know if anyone found anything else out about them.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
I know someone who has dual electracs in her YJ. Its a LS unlocked, and a spool when locked. Her jeep goes anywhere (of course, it is on 37" Boggers :D ), but she has still managed to bust 2 off the front axle, and 3 off the rear. You hit a rock with it, and the actuator is toast. When you bust the actuator off, you end up with a hole in your diff. cover, too.

With the proper protection though, theyd be great on/off road.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm supprised that they things break so easy. The cover looks to be atleast 1/4" thick. But maybe it's just the angles I've seen. ARe they busting because they are being pushed back? Does look like it has anything from keeping it from moving backwards.

I'm still highly interested in this locker. Does your freind have any complains about noise? Read one review that said they are noise?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Im pretty sure that the 'rock guard' is attached to the actuator, and the actuator is plastic. Everytime she broke one, it was the actuator busting in half. Im not sure how theyre breaking, the last one that broke we didnt notice till who knows how long after it happened, when she was coming out of a water crossing.

Id imagine that in the front, they are breaking when being hit w/ a rock head-on, and the rear ones are getting busted off when dropping down off of rocks. she does run some pretty crazy trails.
When unlocked, its a truetrac, so it rides great on the street. The last time she broke one we had no way to unlock it, so she had to drive home with a spooled rear :eek: Probably not too bad in a FSB, but in a big tall jeep on boggers, its pretty scary!

If you were to make a full cover that protected the entire area, instead of just the actuator, id bet youd never have a problem with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts