Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If its trailered, id go full spool front /rear.... Their cheap... If your drving this on the street I'd go air locker up front(wish i did, but funds werent available) and detroit out back....

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like your signature. I tend to never have enough of both though. Still running stock axles but planning to do buildup on both. I know the 44 is going to give me issues so the plan is to build the axles and eventually replace them with F/R 60's and use the existing 9in and 44 on a light weight tube buggy but for now got to work with what I've got.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
still need an answer, If trail only, hell weld up the rear or spool, daily street driven I would say selectable but once again big bucks. front you could do anything you want since its only functioning when the hubs are locked.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Whats the biggest difference between the detroit and the spool. It's not a daily driver but I do like to drive it to some trails close to my house 10-15 miles max. otherwise it is trailered
a detroit unlocks when your off the pedal, a spool is constantly working, just imagine that you welded both axle shafts together and they now function as one solid length shaft, thats a spool.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,827 Posts
still need an answer, If trail only, hell weld up the rear or spool, daily street driven I would say selectable but once again big bucks. front you could do anything you want since its only functioning when the hubs are locked.
a detroit unlocks when your off the pedal, a spool is constantly working, just imagine that you welded both axle shafts together and they now function as one solid length shaft, thats a spool.
I would only go Selectable for the front-- no matter what anybody say and no matter what the truck is used for.

The rear has more options though.
-If it is 100% trailored spool it or weld the spider gears.
-If it is your trail truck but you drive it the the trail, etc. put in the detroit.
-If the truck is a Dual Purpose rig (DD and weekend warrior), selectable in the rear as well.

I have e-lockers front and rear and I LOVE them, but the truck is also my DD.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was wondering about the e locker. herd that the silanoid (excuse my spelling) has a tendancy to go out on them. ARB's are proven but not a fan of running air lines any thoughts on a cable activated locker (i.e. OX) sounds kinda fail proof to me. I've been leaning to the detroit for the rear but spools are cheap the detroit is around $450-500 for a couple hundred xtra I can go selectable. just thinking out loud

·
Registered
79 Posts
you are going to get good at fixing the 44 if you lock it. My bronco has a 4 speed and a sterling with a detroit never had any problems, just a some noise and pulling when you are on and off the gas. My 4 door one ton has a Automatic and I cant notice the detroit at all

·
Fullsize Member
4,171 Posts
one thing i will say about a spool is that it is predicatable, once you learn the way it drives, it will always be locked, the same with selectable, when you lock them, they are locked, a detroit or lunchbox however can be a bit unpredictable. they will sometimes not lock when you think they will, and other times will engage a bit suddenly, i am personally goind full spool out back, open in front, and it is a dd/trail rig, if i had the money id be getting an arb

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you are going to get good at fixing the 44 if you lock it. My bronco has a 4 speed and a sterling with a detroit never had any problems, just a some noise and pulling when you are on and off the gas. My 4 door one ton has a Automatic and I cant notice the detroit at all
Yeah Especially since I'm running on 38's. I run the truck hard but I still haven't broken an axle or U joint. I know its gonna happen though, just waiting. I'm upgrading to alloy shafts and super joints hoping to add as much beef as possible

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I'm currently running 38" tires on the 78 Bronco, with a full spool in the rear Currie 9" and open front Dana44. I've broken a few front shafts and u-joints, so I got some chromoly's from Alloy USA. While it's cheaper to run a spool in the front, and unlock one hub when you need it, I thikn it's still pushing the limits of the chromoly's with 38" tires on the D44. I'm looking at installing a Detroit True-Trac in the front, since I sometimes have the need to be locked when climbing the rocks. I'll prolly get to test this set-up during the next few months. Just feel like a spool is too much strain on the shafts, and most of the locals i wheel with agree. JSM84

1 - 20 of 117 Posts