Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since the weather has started to warm up here in the Maritimes, I have started getting the truck ready for the road. My contract is done in May so I will lose the mini-van as a daily driver. A few months ago I tried welding up the floor with my buzz-box stick welder. To anybody that has ever wanted to know if this can be done, it cant. No matter what type of stick you use. I drove the truck out to a friends shop to have the welding done right.

Looks good on the outside right?

Here is what happens when you dont silicone or weld up your b-pillar cracks. The cab corner rusted out, and the water ran along the length of the rocker panel.

Ted will do an amazing job on the welding. Once that is done, the dry, cracked and rotten carpet will be thrown out and the entire floor will be bed-lined. I'll run it like that over the summer then put some carpet from LMC for fall/winter. Other than the welding, the only thing keeping me back from a MVI sticker is a shot drag-link, and a radiator core-support which I have in the garage but still need to put in.

In case anybody is wondering about the tires, they are Wildcat EXT's. They have a wicked aggressive tread, and they roll well, but are WAY too loud on the road.

-Matt

·
Registered
43 Posts
is this the truck thats always parked by the rez gas bar ?? i noticed when i got my bronco i started seein broncos everywhere i went lol.

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BeErGuZzLeR1972 said:
What are the b-pillar cracks? Are those the cracks at the top of the cab on the rain gutters?
Those are the ones. If you have them, water will travel down and pool in the cab corner. You can clearly see the results.

-Matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tell you what I've used on my project XJ:toothless yes I do have a FSB but I needed something for smaller trails:drinkbud but back to your rust use a Product called Por-15 its great easy to use I think the site iswww.por-15.com I used that and there power mesh to fix some rather nasty holes as well as new sheet metal, I still have some power mesh if you need it, you just need Por-15 to use it:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Best of luck Matt

It's a never ending battle with a Ford in the salt belt.

I keep mine coated with that vasoline-like rust undercoating every year or it wouldn't be here now.

Are you gonna buy him panels or pay his labour to bend them hiz-sef' ?

I had no idea NB checked your vehicle for safety ?!?!? How often ?

Here in Dullard McGuilty's Ontario they can kiss off until point of sale. As long as you own it, it's your own responsibility to maintain it and none of their F#@*ing business.

Sixlitre

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im paying Teddy by the hour, and for his materials. He's cutting m a break on his hourly rate and not charging any taxes. Something no-one else here would do. Here in New Brunswick MVI's are a yearly event where we get to scramble to the parts store, or to Home Hardware to buy roofing tar for the holes. Wish we were in the same situation as you.

-Matt

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
BeErGuZzLeR1972 said:
What are the b-pillar cracks? Are those the cracks at the top of the cab on the rain gutters?

yes they are put some silicone in them and you will be fine till rust eats them completly off then you can do sixlitres fix

·
Registered
151 Posts
I alrerady have silicon in mine but it seems to be getting worse. I thought about fillin the entire gutters with paintable bathtub coulk anthen painting the caulk. My floors are perfectly rust free though fortunately.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice Rig ... I was wondering whose that was ...I saw it parked this winter while I was home for christmas ... I didnt realize there where other Bronco owners in Fredericton, I'm a fellow Northsider ... just up in ontario for school ... I am replacing my whole floor this summer ... after mud season

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Floor is all done, and I shot a couple of pics. There is some surface rust on the new metal already, but ill take care of that over the weekend when I tear the carpet out. Ive got a few wire wheels to go at it with.

Here is the cab corner all fixed up:

Here are a couple along the length of the rocker panel. The metal was custom bent to fit in, and was spot welded to the lip that the weather stripping lays on:

And here is a custom bumper on a military Silverado I saw while cruising the dealership. Im gonna figure out if there is some guy on the base making these or what.

That is all.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
BeErGuZzLeR1972 said:
Yup, x-actly.

The A pillar is at the windshield
The B pillar is just behind the door

Pillars are the roof supports.

HTH,
Andrew

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
BeErGuZzLeR1972 said:
This here is what happens eventually

Of course body flexing helps speed up the process. I done paid an old school body guy to patch the metal and float hot lead into the seams so it won't never happen again (lead in, air out, no possibility of rust forming).

Or so the theory goes

Sixlitre

p.s./
Matt that looks very much stronger than before. looks like your welder could weld rusty tin cans to rusty tin cans if he wanted to. So many guys I know just can't turn down the speed enough, they blow holes everywhere.

·
Registered
587 Posts
MatthewC said:
And here is a custom bumper on a military Silverado I saw while cruising the dealership. Im gonna figure out if there is some guy on the base making these or what.

That is all.
Im a mechanic for the military, just to let you know all the military silverado's came with that bumper it was an option from GM on the trucks, but it wouldnt be to hard to get one fabbed up. I could take a few more snap shots of the bumper for ya from work if you really want one built :thumbup

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That'd be right nice of you if you did that.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Bronco_In_Ny said:
Tell you what I've used on my project XJ:toothless yes I do have a FSB but I needed something for smaller trails:drinkbud but back to your rust use a Product called Por-15 its great easy to use I think the site iswww.por-15.com I used that and there power mesh to fix some rather nasty holes as well as new sheet metal, I still have some power mesh if you need it, you just need Por-15 to use it:thumbup
does the power mesh work well over large holes, is it strong?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts