Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so.. i did a 3g swap a few months back and from time to time my belt will squeal for a sec or two right after startup. its a new belt. did i miss something? i can see a little wear on the front of the belt.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,500 Posts
could be your tensioner arm for the idler pulley..the 3G pulls harder on start up and if you have a worn out tensioner it can cause it to squeal.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. i didnt replace the tensioner so that might be it. as for the shim, the 3g is from an early 90s taurus if i remember correctly and i didnt change the pulley or anything. ill look into that.. thanks

·
Registered
1989 ford bronco xlt
173 Posts
I also had the squeal on startup after the 3g install, i changed the tensioner and it all but went away. Still get a small squeek from time to time but i can live with it.
One thing i noticed is the stock alternator pulley would spin with alot less tension where the 3g was much heavier or harder to spin by hand, maybe that is just the nature of the larger wire wound guts.

good luck and i think winter will be the ultimate test.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Been meaning to install a new tensioner in mine, it's squeals on startup as well. Only way to shut it up is to shut off any and all electronic drains on startup and even then, you'll have better luck when the engine is already warmed up. That 160 amp 3G pulls some power!

OT, but with my 160 installed and the bigger charger cable, I still notice my dash panel dimming when I run everything on full blast in my truck. Is this a grounding issue or power supply to the dash issue?

·
Registered
197 Posts
OT, but with my 160 installed and the bigger charger cable, I still notice my dash panel dimming when I run everything on full blast in my truck. Is this a grounding issue or power supply to the dash issue?
This is probably a battery issue. Maybe a voltage reg problem. Did you upgrade all your wiring with the 160 alt. With everything on check to see if your supply wire going to your cab is getting warm. I doubt its a ground issue but hey it never hurts to put an extra ground from batt to frame to body. Hope this helps.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Check voltage at the batery when running everything, if its still 14 then I would say its a power supply to the fuse box issue

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Upgrade the negative cable too, and add an extra block to frame ground.

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Upgrade the negative cable too, and add an extra block to frame ground.
Can you expound upon adding an extra to the block to frame? Or do you mean battery->frame as a wire then frame->block as another wire?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Check voltage at the batery when running everything, if its still 14 then I would say its a power supply to the fuse box issue
Thanks. Would this be "fixed" by running a 2AWG cable to the power distribution box, if that's the issue? Harbor Freight has some niiiiice inverter cables, two 6 foot 2AWG cables with good looking terminals for $60...

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Thanks. Would this be "fixed" by running a 2AWG cable to the power distribution box, if that's the issue? Harbor Freight has some niiiiice inverter cables, two 6 foot 2AWG cables with good looking terminals for $60...
I bet you get better cables from fireguy for maybe a few dollars more. USA made cables too!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bet you get better cables from fireguy for maybe a few dollars more. USA made cables too!!
I made my own ground cables, but it's the kind of PITA that doesn't seem worth it when I paid $20 for 5 or 6 feet of 2AWG cable and 2.99 per 2-pack of copper terminals. 12 feet already done and color coded seems worth it to me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Crap, your stuff's cheaper to buy and ship to my door than getting stuff at the auto parts store in town with a business account. *facepalm*

1 - 20 of 23 Posts