Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Bronco and love it. I recently put a rough country 6 inch lift on it but have not changed tires out yet for bigger ones. After the lift I have noticed a vibration/shake between 15-30mph and when coming to a stop. It doesn't do it if i put the truck into neautral when coming to a stop. I have greased the slip joint, and the u joints don't look bad. After greasing the slip joint it seems to have helped with the vibration between 15-30 a little but nothing on the stopping part. I looked to make sure I put the rear shims in correctly for the angle of the rearend to the driveshaft and the blocks I put in don't look to have any angle in them. Not sure what it means when there are no problems with the truck in neautral. Thanks in advace for the help.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,824 Posts
well start with the easy stuff first. since the lift your driveline is running at a different angle then before. i suspect the ujoints are bad and need replaced. especially since it clears up after you grease everything. did you get the front end aligned also?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Im thinking driveline angle, or the shaft was not put back together properly when you greased the splines.
Did you phase the shaft correctly?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got an alignment and that cleared up alot of shimmy. I marked the driveshaft before taking it apart so i could put it together the same way. I was only able to greese the slip joint as the u joints don't have any greese zerks. I just opened up the rearend and everything looks good in there. Next I will try putting it in neautral and see if I can feel anything bad with the u joints. Is there any other way to change the angle of the rearend? Can I get different angle shim then the original?

·
7,824 Posts
how old are those ujoints?

·
7,824 Posts
well again i would start by replacing those. and get some with zirk fittins so you can grease them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear end looks good and probably happy to have new oil. U joints seem fine but i will probably replace them anyway and see if that helps. Any other suggestions are more then welcome. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Make sure the pinion nut is tight and not loosening off.Take the driveshaft off completely and make sure the ujoints move smoothly in all directions. It can be hard to tell if a ujoint is bad when still on the truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed out oil in the rearend and it seems to have helped a little but the problem is still there. I will have to wait till my next days off to replace the u joints. Should be a little easier once I put on my 35's next week. woo hoo

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Did you reinstall the factory wedges when you did the lift? If you did, put them back in under your lift blocks.
(This is a typical problem with Rough Country lifts, and there instructions)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might have figured it out. Put the factory wedges in but did not measure the lift blocks. They are about 5/16 taller on one side and sure enough I put them both in backwards. Won't be till next week till I can fix it but will post on here if that fixes it. I don't recall anything in the instructions about the blocks being a little wedge shape. Oh well, just another life lesson.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put the lift blocks in correctly and threw on my new 35s and she rides like a dream. I will put up some pics as soon as I get it all cleaned up and looking good. Thanks to everyone that responded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts