Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock 9inch and dana 44 with limited slip?

Does anyone know if there are any trucks that came stock with limited slip 9 inch rear axle that would be compatible to a 9 inch for 86 bronco? I been trying to look it up in the search but haven't found answers. Reasons I am asking is I am thinking maybe I can find one in the junk yard that will work with out spending too much for a new one. I also want to know what trucks could have come with limited slip in the front dana 44. Maybe this a dumb question but i just wanted to know if they came stock with the limited slip or would I be better off buying it new with my 4.56 gears. Thanks for looking at my question?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why swap to a 9inch? a 8.8 with little work can be just as strong..
OH no I am not swapping from 8.8 to a 9inch. My truck already has a 9inch from factory but it has a open diff. I just wanted to know if there's any trucks that came with limited slip from factory that can be found in a local junk yard. If there was it would make it cheaper for me to switch it out instead of buying a new limited slip.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just go to the yard and look.........

my 1980 came with LS front & rear from the factory says Ford.

44 front & 9" rear

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder why my truck doesn't have it? Is there an easy way of knowing a truck has LS. Just wondering cause I don't want to find a truck and take the axles and pumpkin out and find that it's a open diff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Axle code should be on the tag on the driver's side door. If the code begins with "1" it's open. If it begins with "H" it's L/S. If it is a three digit code (ex. H92) it's L/S front and rear.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks jared1978. next time i am that junk yard i'll on the look out. The code would be the same for pickup trucks right?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Some axles have a tag on one of the bolts giving the gear ratio and I think some say LS. I think most BKO's came with LS in the rear, but I'm not positive...

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
it was a option, not a standard item.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts