Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped in my 4:56 this weekend, everything on pattern looked good. Backlash was recommended at .006 but I can get only .002 or .009 so I have it at .009. I did not have light weight 75/90 gear oil so I filled it with 80/140 something and it was a gallon of it. I forgot I was on slight incline when filling. Gear makes a slight drone at 35-55mph could that be from overfilling with wrong heavyweight oil? I will drop pan again tonight and refill with proper weight, my boss said he used to run a little tranny fluid in there to help keep things clean and viscouse in colder months any opinions on that.
That crush sleeve was a royal pita per Raytech tool my pinion dept was off by .001 from what was etched on pinion. I can crawl up my driveway in idle. Will fix fux rear before tackling d44 this weekend.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a gear wine that I have normally heard when I installed my truetrac. It's a heavy sound like I am running large 35" tires.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will drop pan tonight and get pics. I only put 15 miles on it so far 10 for test and 5 for coming to work

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the pinion to close to center, but what do you guys think.

I set everything up without the crush sleeve, pattern looked good. Then with crush sleeve in, I had to shim the carrier further away as I was getting .002 backlash. Backlash is at .009 right now, pinion preload is 17inch lbs

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I mean was the original pattern I had does not match what I am getting now. After I added the crush sleeve and torqued everything down, it changed on me quite a bit. After I shimmed the carrier back I checked the pattern of course and it was not what you see here. With the Raytech tool I used, I was off by .001 as to what was etched on the pinon. I wonder if that was money wasted, as the pattern is telling me a different story. I did buy a spare crush sleeve from JBG just incase this happened. I"m thinking I will order a spare as well for the D44.

Thanks for feedback, the kit that JBG sent me were Yukon pinion install kits had the booklet in it at the bottom underneath everything. Have two of them now, still couldn't get it right.

Looks like I'll be tearing it apart again this sat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup, i used the same shim that was in there, but still had to add .010 to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.