Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all the right ups on lockers and gears, I want to get a locker, Ive got stock gears now and am planing on getting a ARB, in a year or so im planning on re-gearing to 4.10's, will the ARB still fit with those gears? Im a noob when it comes to lockers and gears :scratchhe

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe 4.10 is the cuttoff between the different carrier sizes. What tire size are you planning on going with ultimately, 4.10 isn't very much gear considering the work and cost involved? You could also check ARB's site for info on the different carrier sizes.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have a 90 Bronco as well and just faced a simliar delimma. It was originally regeared to 4.10 and I am running 35's. I was happy with the gearing so let it be. I was originally going to buy a detroit for the stock 8.8 rear end and be done, but when I looked into it the strength of the axle started to scare me. For that reason I decided to use a Ford 9". I got the axle for 60 bucks from a local pick and pull scrap yard. The locker and gears were cheaper than for the 8.8 and its a semi floater (not c-clip) so its stronger and your tires wont fall off if you break something. It is also a very easy swap, every single brake part is identical and the driveshaft bolts up with little fuss. All in all you would probably spend a little more doing this, but get a much better axle in the process. If you want to lock your 8.8 and do not have a posi you might be able to be the e-z lockers which are only like 225. When you buy your ARB gear ratio is not a problem because it replaces your stock carrier and the locker you buy will match your gears. I realize there is a lot going on here, post back with any questions...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts