Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

MS 170, MS 260, MS 361 and MS 660

I've had the 361 for about a year now and love it. Just offed my old echo saw and the firewood business is startin' to pick up...so i figured what the shit, might as well.

I've run the 440 before a couple times and thats a good size saw. I was originally looking at the 880 but they didn't have one in stock and weren't sure when they'd get one in. and it was another 700 dollars on top of the price of the 660, so f-that. 660 is plenty beefy for me and will spin up to a 36 inch bar. it certainly makes the 440 look small. and no, i haven't cut anything with any of them yet. :chili:

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
those look like fun

·
Registered
966 Posts
Good brand to run with, that is for sure. I picked myself up a 026 for $100 off a buddy two years ago and i tell you that is the best money that i have spent that is for sure!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Only thing that could make that beter was if it was the 339xp, 346xp, 357xp and 395xp....:goodfinge

Husqvarna all the way....:rockon

Just messing with you there. Everything except the 170 is a good saw. I have a 170 too and its a nice light and easy to handle saw, but its just too cheap to be used regularly. Mines only 3 years old with limited use and its already pushing the limit of its usable life. I'd much rather have a top handle pro saw for the small limbing and stuff like that. That 660 is a sweet machine though, and I'd woulda passed on the 880 too. Thats tha point where its too big to be used efficiantly, and that 660 will handle just about anything the 880 will. The only time I'd get a saw that big is if I was regularly cutting 40"+ wood on average. With that said, I wouldn't mind owning a saw of that caliber (the 3120 though...) just to have it and run it in front of others when I need my ego boosted.

Now open them muffler ports up and let them really run.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the 170 is pretty common with a lot of my friends but they don't seem to last a really long time. i'm only going to use it occasionally for limbing and climbing. my original intent was the 180 but it has that quick adjust chain shit and i don't want that. the ms200 top handle is a nice saw but it's damn near 600.00 for a 14 inch bar and i said screw that.

i know a guy who works at the stihl dealer, if the 170 pops he can jug it for about 40.00 he says, so i'll run it 'til i tie it up and either buy a new one or fix that one. i pretty much got that one for free after my discount on the 660:chili:

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Very nice there Mike!!! Stihl's are nice, I got an old cheap 009 stihl that I have used for about 12 years with no complaints.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Did you see the 192? Its an awesome climbing saw and its much cheaper then the 200. Its a lot lighter too. I'd even saw its the lighest saw I've ever held. I'm sure you've found out if you've done it before, but the 170 is tough to use one handed in a tree.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i saw the 190, dealer suggested i get that one as well over the 200. and yeah anything but a top handle saw is pretty tricky to use safely up in a tree thats for sure, but i don't do a lot of work in the air as it is and for what i do do, i'll manage with the 170.

if i wasn't in the market for that big saw i got, i woulda went with a small top handle. oh well, next time.

husq got anything top handle wise?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Nice saws you have there. I have run more Stihls the Huskys. But if it will get the job done quickly and efficiently. I don't really care what I run. I oughta go by me one but I am afraid I will become like Mike. Addicted.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
very nice collection thats a pretty penny sitting there....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
im in the market for a climbing saw as well, but really dont want to drop the cash on a stihl. considering its only going to be used a few times a year on cherry and some apple, but mainly on crap maple trees i just cant justify the money. im lookin for cheap but reliable..i know not too common. ive even considered that weird b&d lopper style thing

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
ive got one from early 80's, late 70's still running. when i aquired it a couple years ago as payment for a landscaping job done with my dad it still had a little handwritten price tag on it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When i was younger my dad always cut with an old homelite. i don't know what year it was or what model, all i know is i was about 5 years old and had trouble carrying it around. still had a metal case. it ran until i was probably 14 or 15 and then i never saw it again. his friend tried messing with the carb settings and leaned it out, tied it up.

i was a big echo fan until just recently, so when i called him he said get a stihl.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
im in the market for a climbing saw as well, but really dont want to drop the cash on a stihl. considering its only going to be used a few times a year on cherry and some apple, but mainly on crap maple trees i just cant justify the money. im lookin for cheap but reliable..i know not too common. ive even considered that weird b&d lopper style thing
Echo makes a cheap climbing saw. The Stihl 192 and Husky 334 (I think) isn't too bad price wise either

1 - 16 of 16 Posts