Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know, like for battery isolators & stuff? i know Wrangler & Painless stell kits, but for the do it yourselfers? 81bronk36 i dug up your old pics about dual batteries. i saw you using the isolator and there was a grey relay/solenoid mounted as well. is that grey one for starting the vehicle or to use for a self jumping deal? how many batteries are you running? i have two wired together as one big battery and i want to have a third isolated and capable of jumping the dual bank. for some reason my battery is dead today and i dont know why. i will get the alt tested wednesday & see whats up. it cant be the batteries. i took all the accessories off, but its all been working for months & months. havent added or changed anything recently. so, solenoids anyone?

all the searches referred to ford type noids. i am just looking to run a third battery as a self starting feature. i am thinking a stock starter solenoid will work since it works for the bank of 2. i can run it once and a while to keep the thing charged or run it on all the time cause when the power goes off, it will be isolated and safe from drain... yahoo. i know they were using a 250A continous /750A peak that was about 89.99 from somewhere. anybody??

·
Banned
38,640 Posts
When you go shopping for them, look for "RELAYS" not "solenoids". A continuous-duty relay is what you want, like what winches have. A starter relay is only for short use; otherwise, it could be used for this application.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. electrical supply? hell i guess i could try napa, they know how to find stuff without a make & model. the good part about the net is you can find info. but the bad part is if you put in relay or solenoid, you get lotsa makers & suppliers & importers & stuff but not one easy online place. i got a grainger here close by, i will give them a shot too.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. NAPA part number ST36, at o'reiley's its borg warner S5057, possibly SS134 at other places. its a 200A constant duty, cant get the max rated capacity from anyone. $31.99 at the O. i will let you know what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts