Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Satan himself put these pitman arms on? I've been trying to get this thing off for what seems like an eternity and nothing has worked. I've broken three pullers (2 ton rating, my ass), propane torch doesn't get it nearly hot enough, and my BFH hasn't done me any good. I finally bit the bullet and asked my dad for help, so he is coming with his cutting torch (acetyline sp?). Has anyone else had this many problems?

My last ditch effort is going to be getting a new gearbox, but I don't really want to spend $130 on that.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
You are not alone in your troubles. I have broken at least five pullers in my life trying to get varius arms off. They can be a real bitch. Usually I just use a cutting wheel to get them off if my first attempt with the puller fails.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
Are you just turning the bolt until the puller breaks? Are you soaking the shaft with penetrating oil? Try putting a strain on it with the puller, then tap (NOT beat) the pitman arm where it wraps around the shaft with a medium BP hammer. Then put a little more strain on the puller and repeat. Keep the nut on the end of the shaft so the arm & puller don't go flying when it lets go. I used a super-cheapo Harbor Freight puller on mine, and its shaft was twisted, and the arm came off fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you soaking the shaft with penetrating oil?
yes

Try putting a strain on it with the puller, then tap (NOT beat) the pitman arm where it wraps around the shaft with a medium BP hammer. Then put a little more strain on the puller and repeat.
Did that, nothing happened.

I did eventually get it off today. Torch cut right through it. :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts