Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a diesel engine in my 95 bronco. It has a 5.0 engine in it but its a little tired and i want to change things up. i figure putting a diesel engine in a bronco would be pretty kick ass! if anybody has any questions, comments or advice please respond.:rebelflag

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Do a search for FOTM for June, one of the contestants has a Cumstain in his 95 (96?) that looks like Henry put down the pen from writing a Hitler support check, and then penned the plans for that Bronco...

Damn its clean... 600+ hp, and.... 22 mpg for a peak, 18-20 for drive around average...

AND...... its from a 97/98.. so newer than the Bronc, which keeps from violating federal laws, my swap is technically illegal on that note, I am going backwards, 90 rig, 83 motor...

AND AND.... being a 12 valve, its a 3 wire system.... Mechanically injected. I would reccomend against a PSD for the wire loom BS.

My $.02 from ID... if you had an 89 or 92 even I would say IDI, 6.9/7.3 IH cheap enough to be found, okay hp... and moderately economical, plus... came in a Ford, so the swap is painless, relatively.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
And it will never make the sense/power/mpg a Cummins does..... IMHO.

Edit: In regards to a swap.. buying one in a Ford product already, thats slightly different...

But for the effort and expense to do it right, ennh, Cumstain all the way.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do a quick search for diesel swaps,
a few (both Cummins and Powerstrokes) have been done here.

a powerstroke, and all its bits and pieces, is pretty much plug and play. Lots of plugging though!
The powerstroke doesn't just "bolt right in",
there are some issues with mounts,
but a search will give you the answer(s) to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
And if I really was trying to stay purist.... DT360 or maybe a DT408... Possibly a DT429 (need to check the physical size on the last...)

Best of Both worlds, straight 6, good power capability, and IH all the way!

Do a search on Powerstroke nation for DT360 swaps.... hubba hubba...

·
Registered
176 Posts
as far as mounts, cut off the passenger side gas motor mount, bolt the diesel mount in place on the x member. Drivers side, cut off the gas mount, then you need to drill one hole in the x member for the rear lower bolt, and if you want you can fab a metal plate to make a front lower bolt mounting place. Though, Dave from Diesel Innovations, and myself have done without that part and have had zero issues with that plate flexing one bit.

Other than that, it does pretty much bolt right in, then swap in the diesel rad support and engine and dash harness'

As for making the sense/power. No, it wont make the power, but for 2-3k you can have a complete running donor. Ive seen most people spend more than 10K to put a Cummins into a truck that was already a diesel

·
Registered
176 Posts
here is a pic of how they look in there with the gas mount brackets removed. Mine looks the same, and as I said, the mount is solid with zero flex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts