Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a truck for work. I had been looking at a diesel pick up but in Chicago they have a stupid law where you cant park "business" trucks on residential streets and I have no garage. In Illinois, pickups are classified as "B trucks" and fall into that category (plus my city sticker would be close to $175 a year). Since I will need this truck for hauling landscape materials, Im looking at a larger cargo van instead. I found a number of 93-02 diesel Ford vans in the $5-10k range in my area. What I want to know is are these vans as powerful as the pickups? I know there are a few differences in the vans vs. the trucks but I basically know nothing about diesel Fords. Do they have tuners available for the vans as well?

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
i've been looking for some E-series PSD's, and they really are a good price, cargo vans even cheaper. The vans have good power, but aren't quite AS powerful. IIRC, they had a bit of a difference in the turbos? Possibly downpipes...IIRC it's a bit more of a pain with the vans to chip because of restrictions in the downpipe, even more so than the truck. They'll stilll make good power stock tho.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The vans do not have a intercooler IIRC. Im not 100% sure, but I think thats why they feel slower. Gotta be de-tuned so the temps dont get too high. There are a couple other small things but I cant remember right now. Might wanna check out www.thedieselstop.com

·
user title
2,211 Posts
After reading this thread - I started looking on E-bay for these vans. A van may work just as well for me as a truck - and the price may be better.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
yes the 7.3 in the vans had no intercooler and smaller turbos.

the also had a differnt program in the pcm for a lower hp rating I believe.

oh and they suck balls to work on

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,646 Posts

I think he knows what he is talking about....I heard he sucked balls before:goodfinge:doh0715:

:whiteflag

I had a van for a short time. It worked great if you don't need to haul smelly items (gas, chemicals, ETC). Almost as bad as using a BKO for the same thing, except that a BKO has windows that open to allow the smell to escape. Just something to think about that I didn't realize until after I owned it. Sold it less than 2years later. Great for security though.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
After reading this thread - I started looking on E-bay for these vans. A van may work just as well for me as a truck - and the price may be better.
Wayyyy cheaper :thumbup

Good information Dustin, they look like they'd suckkkk to work on :duh

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The vans do not have a intercooler IIRC. Im not 100% sure, but I think thats why they feel slower. Gotta be de-tuned so the temps dont get too high. There are a couple other small things but I cant remember right now. Might wanna check out www.thedieselstop.com
Dieselstop is good,
also try www.powerstrokenation.com

I 2nd the PITA to work on. If there is anything is about diesel, I bet Dustin would know about it or heard of it. I'm sure he can be bribed ;) :toothless

Now here is a random question: Why didn't Dodge ever make diesel vans?

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I had sent the seller a question...

For 55,000, does this include any extras? Price seems high..might be an error worth correcting.
got this response just now

Read the description, it says listing comming soon. Do you honestly have that much time on your hands to write this silly email.
Haha...:rofl:

last time i checked...when you post something for sale, it's not a "work in progress", you try to post REAL price with REAL info...maybe that's just me :shrug

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Read the description, it says listing comming soon. Do you honestly have that much time on your hands to write this silly email.
send him a response saying "obviously i do have that much time on my hands, and for wasting my time with a listing that has no description i just wasted some more of yours"

he's obviously a dealer yet appears to have no clue how to sell a vehicle

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the opinions and help guys. Im going tonight to look at a couple. The one Ive been eyeing is a 2000 7.3 no window with 95k for 9,800. Does that seem a little low? The rest Ive been looking at with about the same mileage are going for $3-4k more and only a year or two newer.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Thanks for the opinions and help guys. Im going tonight to look at a couple. The one Ive been eyeing is a 2000 7.3 no window with 95k for 9,800. Does that seem a little low? The rest Ive been looking at with about the same mileage are going for $3-4k more and only a year or two newer.
95k is great mileage if it's been taken care of
i'd peep it over real good if you think it's low, it may not have some options the more expensive ones do

·
Registered
146 Posts
6.0L suck ball sack compared to 7.3L. Probably why Ford already has new diesels. Just changing the oil on the 6.0s is far more expensive. They have canister oil filters and blah... blah... get a 7.3L, if possible. Another big thing I noticed from working at Ford here in Lubbock is the glow plugs go out regularly on 6.0L. I've done work on dozens (I'm a quick tech, so I don't do real "technical" work, but whatever) of 7.3L from farmers around here and they say the engines last forever and we've had a couple with 300K+ on the tickers. From what I've been reading on this thread (and if I comprendo it correctly) it sounds like all you would need is a "new" PCM and turbo from an F-Series and you'd be ready to rock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts