Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran some through my truck and now it seems like it has grayish smoke occasionally under acceleration. It comes and goes randomly. The smoke does not smell sweet or feel wet like it's coolant smoke. Does this mean that the stuff is just working and cleaning my fuel system or is there another problem going on? It isn't running like there's a bad injector or anything, it still is running perfectly fine and no symptoms of anything else.

Sorry about the noob diesel questions this is my first one and I want to make sure I'm doing the right things for it. I used the proper amount (maybe slightly more) and yes this is just the cleaner not the anti-gelling product.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I used the stuff in my Duramax for about 60,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.

I think you have some other problem going on.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This truck was sitting for a while though and probably hadn't had a cleaner/conditioner through it in quite a while. As far as I'm aware of it started doing this when I put that in.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
what kind of diesel? I've heard the IDI's have lousy valve seals that cause oil consumption. If it's an IDI, I'd suspect those after it setting a while.

You should use a treatment every time you put fuel in it.
You can buy the stuff at a farm supply store MUCH cheaper than the auto stores or wally mart

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
I run diesel kleen in my truck at every fill up. Mileage increased, noise went down, little more torque, smoke stayed about the same though. I do occasionally run 3-4x the amount to clean some shit out but don't really notice a difference between that or the regular amount. Ive heard its important for us older diesel guys to run an additive since newer diesel fuel doesn't contain the lubricating properties it used to. However at my job we never ran an additive in any of the cummins and those towed from 8am-5pm and burned a full tank every day. Plus our trucks were chipped and had the pumps turned up. We never had any pump problems or so on.

This was my truck, burned a full tank a day and would roll coal like you wouldn't believe. No problems without an additive.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the fuel supply lines to the injector pump was leaking, tightened that up. Seemed to help a little bit. Not smoking AS much now it seems. Next I'm going to try fuel filter, since just because it looks new doesn't mean it is new (it's a friggin' Fram, too). Basically it seems like the truck takes longer to crank over than it should, lacks power at full throttle, it basically makes no difference between half throttle and full. So as far as I can think its either something along those lines or possibly there is air getting in the fuel system somewhere. Maybe even timing... It has some of the symptoms of being too retarded, no pun intended. :toothless

1 - 6 of 6 Posts