Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What else is needed besides the engine and transmission to do a diesel swap on a 96 bronco. Do the axles need to be swapped out too?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Depends which diesel you want to run,If we are talking a 4bt the stock axles are fine if its a 12 valve or powerstroke i would think about a sas and sterling for the rear.On the trans if you want a cummins you can get a adapter kit to run a ford trans if you want.If you want your tach to work you will need a kit for that.On the fuel system i have no clue what all should be changed out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As andrew has said, it all depends on which diesel you want to put in. Chances are with any diesel you will have to beef up the suspension and drivetrain. There are a couple or three diesel swap threads here. At least one where a 12bt was put in a 78 or 79, can't remember.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cummins 4bt swap

I've been researching the 4bt swap for quite a while now. Finally have the funds coming in 3 weeks from today to get it started and possibly (you know how these things go) complete it straight through.

From what I have read on several different swaps, you'll need a plastic tank or coat your metal tank. You'll need to run a little different fuel pump setup. You can use mechanical pumps, but it seems a lot of folks are running electrical pumps to draw fuel from the tank and send to the injection pump. You'll just have to research for yourself to see what's best for you and your engine. You'll obviously have to run new lines as well.

I'll be running a ZF5 if I can find one. If not, it will be a M5R2. I SHOULDN'T have to relocate the transfer case and, thusly, wouldn't have to change the length of drive shafts. Folks have used automatics. But, unless you or a buddy are a transmission guru, I would stick with the manual trans.

Motor mounting issues will be the biggest hurdle. With the 4bt, it SHOULD be a decent fit without much (or any) modification to the frame of the FSB. The 300I6 mounts are actually real popular for the 4bt into Ford full size frames. Convenient? I think so. The FSB engine compartment is big enough to not require any modification to the firewall for the the 4bt. Folks have put the 6bt in with little mod to the firewall. Others have put it in with no mod to the firewall but had to run slimline e-fans mounted to the radiator which isn't a huge deal seeing as they actually seem to cool better than engine mounted fans IMHO.

An acquaintance who has done several of the 4bt swaps into various vehicles told me just the other day, "If you have a torch, mig welder, and some fab skills, it's not a really hard swap."

If you think you really want to do this, read, research, read, and research. I've been reading and researching for 2 years now. Medical emergencies have taken priority twice when I had the money saved up. Hopefully this time will be different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chances are with any diesel you will have to beef up the suspension and drivetrain.
With the Cummins 4bt you don't have to beef up the suspension. The 8.8 rear diff or "bigger" is fine. The AOD isn't a good fit. The E4OD can be used, but with auto trans it takes a lot of work to get it shifting at the right points. The M5R2 is OK for "regular" use and light 4x4 (snow, mild mud getting to the fishing hole, etc). Anything else and you'll want a ZF5 or better. As long as you keep her around 350 ft-lb or less, the M5R2 should be alright. Again, speaking totally from the research standpoint right now as I haven't started my swap...yet.

OP, you would probably get better info if you were able to narrow down to a specific motor you want to swap.

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
I'd buy a 96 or 97 f250 4x4 with a 7.3 and swap everything over. Can get them pretty cheap now, tons of power, bolt in for the most part and you end up with a dana 60 straight axle!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not even sure they all came with a dana 50, I know the last f250 Diesel I did a frame up rebuilt had a dana 44 ttb. Didn't own the truck since new though. It was a custom and we got it about 115xxx km, I doubt it had been swapped but anything is possible. I do think it was a little older. It had a 7.3 IDI with a ZF5.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The ttb dana 50 was on every f250 80-97 and used on the 80-86 f350 used it also.If the truck had leaf springs in the front it was a dana 50 the dana 44 was only on the coil spring stuff like the bronco/f100/f150.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts