Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '79 diesels when I shut it down about half of the time. I am running the 351M, fully rebuild with a mild cam, headers and the stock 2 barrell. I have adjusted the timing and that hasn't helped (orig. set at 8*BTDC), tried to adjust the carb kick down off high idle to standard idle but the appears to be a middle step in the kick down and it tends to want to stay there. If I pop the gas it will tend to go down to reg idle and then will shut down without the dieseling effect. My rig has all the smog and is smog legal (I hate CA) and I am trying to ensure there is not a small vacuum leak. The carb is original (at least it came with the truck) and I am wondering if that could be the problem? It had problems with smog last year also going from almost no hydrocarbons to really high for no apperant reason :banghead Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks FB

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you're just running reg gas, try some midgrade or premium fuel. That might be all you need to do. What is your final compression ratio? Just 10 minutes ago I got out of mine and it ran on for a second or two. It's stock and I'm using the cheap gas, which is 87 octane. It doesn't do it on good gas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, tried that and it doesn't seem to matter , looks like I will just rebuild the carb and go from there.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
any over heating problems?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Look at the bright side with the '79, you should only have one more smog inspection before you never have to do one again :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts