Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to upgrading broncos. I have owned several over the years and fell in love with them stock. I jsut purchased a `94 that seemed cherry and started upgrading. I had the drive train checked over and got a clean bill of health, I upped my tires to 33x12 and asked my mechanic to get a price on doing the diff/R&P gears for me (I figure 4.10 gears should do the trick, just about same forward as stock).

Anyway here is the question. What should I expect to pay for the job? The numbers he gave me seem a bit steep to say the least.

Thanks,
NJ Buck

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
this haS been discussed alot.. search...people have had random estimates done ranging widely. It all depends on who you know and your location

no one on here can give you a good estimate. Your mechanic may give you some other number completly.

ill mid-ball $1000 if you buy the gears and diff yourself

DC

·
Registered
214 Posts
njbuck said:
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to upgrading broncos. I have owned several over the years and fell in love with them stock. I jsut purchased a `94 that seemed cherry and started upgrading. I had the drive train checked over and got a clean bill of health, I upped my tires to 33x12 and asked my mechanic to get a price on doing the diff/R&P gears for me (I figure 4.10 gears should do the trick, just about same forward as stock).

Anyway here is the question. What should I expect to pay for the job? The numbers he gave me seem a bit steep to say the least.

Thanks,
NJ Buck
First, there's a few while you're in there kinds of things you'll want to check and replace if necessary such as the ball joints, spindle bearings, seals, and other things.

Second, you'll need to decide if you want a limited slip, locker, or one of the newer electric/pneumatic locker/limited slip diffs since these can be installed during the gear swap.

And last, I'd recommend you think about 4.56's unless you never plan to install tires larger than 32-33's. I have 35's, and the 4.56's are the only way to go for the larger tire size.

There's a very good write up on diffs in the project/tech forum, it's a sticky.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
1700 and change a few years ago on a 92 with ARB in front and True Trac in rear, 4.10's, install and all misc stuff. Drove it in - Drive it out.

I differ on the opinion of the 4.56's. I went to 4.10 with 33's and then to 37's. The motor was new so I didn't have any issues. Now several years later the poor truck is back to 33's and a weakening heart. The 4.56's would probably kill the truck in it later years due to RPM's. Mines a 5-speed.

So yes everyone goes up in tire sizes but most (that see a lot of street use) end up back to a more reasonable size later on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts