Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My diff fluid is leaking out of the top of my vent hose on my rear 8.8. Does anybody have any idea how this is possible?
I've got a 94, XLT, 302, Auto tranny.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,797 Posts
either to full or its contaminated. pull the cover off and clean it out good. then put it all back together and put gear oil an limited slip lube in if you have one and see how it goes from there

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Did you have gears put in recently? I assume it's lifted? Sometimes, when you have it regeared, the guys at the shop will fill them to the required amount. However, if it's lifted, the pumpkin is at an angle that would cause it to leak. If you drain it, and then fill til you can see the level (or touch it with your finger) then there is plenty in there. ( I know, that's backwoods mechanic) If that's not the case, well kemicalburns seems to do a good job of speaking my mind for me.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
change the fluid, clean it out and put on a longer hose :goodfinge .. you know you wanted extended breather lines for water crossings anyway ... right :thumbup

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah 6 inch lift and I notice it leaks mostly when I'm parked in my drive way which is at a slight angle.(hood higher than the tail)
I did recently replace the outer bearings and seals, and then I refilled the diff, but I didn't think that over filling it a little would force it out the vent hose :twak
I will drain and clean it real good as soon as time permits. I don't need to drive it everyday so that's not a biggie.
Got my dad in the hospital now so I got to go take care of his little farm for about the next 6 weeks.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
Did you have gears put in recently? I assume it's lifted? Sometimes, when you have it regeared, the guys at the shop will fill them to the required amount. However, if it's lifted, the pumpkin is at an angle that would cause it to leak. If you drain it, and then fill til you can see the level (or touch it with your finger) then there is plenty in there. ( I know, that's backwoods mechanic) If that's not the case, well kemicalburns seems to do a good job of speaking my mind for me.:thumbup
:stupid
Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was havin this issue myself, drained and refilled the diff and
still did it egven with Motorcraft addative. I work for Toyota and
techs said if fluid level is low, so since my pion seal is leaking
i now check fluid regularly and it hasnt happened since, even
towing trailer. just a though. also instead of silicone, try using
F.I.P.G sold at toyota dealers and probably others, it costs
more but once it seals its sealed. it gets hard quik and needs
a good clean surface but wont leak. Good luck:beer

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
If this happened on a hot day, and after driving, it coudl have just built up some pressure in there. Mine did that for like a day, then was done with. Checked the fluid, it's fine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come to think of it, the leaking did start after a wheeling run and then an hour drive home.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, no water.
Water bad.
It was actually a couple of dry creek beds with lots of rocks and few ATV trails that are now just a little wider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just found this thread in a search, I have the same issue... stock suspension, just road driven. i'll be changing the fluid as soon as i get the chance. i plan to put in synthetic oil to help the MPG a little.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It was actually a couple of dry creek beds with lots of rocks and few ATV trails that are now just a little wider.
Those are some of my favorites. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts