·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 86 EB, 302/AOD and I believe 8.8 rear

I am in the process of changing the diff fluid,

I have Valvoline Synpower synthetic 75w-140 limited slip gear oil

I also have equa-torque limited slip additive 4 oz container...

Is this gear oil ok, ? do i need to go with something else,, and since this is the limited slip gear oil, do I need to add the limslip additive?

I am also draining this through the filler hole with a small tube, because i am reluctant to pop open the diff,,,

If i decide to pop it open,

do I need to remove the drive shaft?, do I need to replace the gasket, or just use RTV?

thank you for any help

Chem

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
On the rear just pull the cover and use RTV to seal it. You'll never get all the fluid out other wise

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can i be sure of what axles i have?,, the axle tags are gone,,

Chem

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
being an 86...most likely 8.8 if it has a removable cover on the rear then it is an 8.8 easy way to tell if you have ls is to pull the cover and look at the carrier if it has what looks like a m/c clutch assy (easiest way I can describe it) in the middle then its a limited slip. other wise you just use regular gear oil.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Chemfrk said:
How can i be sure of what axles i have?,, the axle tags are gone,,

Chem
If it has a diff cover in the rear, it's an 8.8. Drop out third would be a 9".

You want to pull the rear cover, it'll allow all the metal shavings to drain.

Your gear oil is fine.

Don't use RTV; use a gasket with wheel bearing grease on both sides. Won't leak and can be used over and over.

The front TTB is a lot harder to do. In fact I wouldn't even worry about it unless you know there's water in there.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok,

for the rear axle the bolts are on the front side,,,

for the litle bit of oil i have gotten out,,, it is like syrup,,,black, thick and smelly.

here is what i know about the front,,,

i bought this from a guy i work with, he owned it for 4 months, had it in 4wd 2 times,,,,

he bought it from another guy i work with, he was the original owner,, and he had it in 4 wd exactly 2 times,,,

20 yrs, 4 times in 4wd, not bad,,,

I am almost positive no water in there...

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
no need for LS additive unless there is alot of chattering in the clutch plates. The only purpose of the additive is to make the clutch packs slip and thus smoother to the normal person, kind of like an auto tranny

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what i got off the rear diff...

5 or S
321C

111 9 6E27

front diff

059 A B

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sixlitre,

I am planning on doing the front drain hole tomorrow,

I am worried that i will not drill the holw straight and screw it up,,,

kind of a costly mistake...

just a little worried.

Chem

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Sixlitre,

I am planning on doing the front drain hole tomorrow,

I am worried that i will not drill the holw straight and screw it up,,,

kind of a costly mistake...

just a little worried.

Chem
Chem

It's a pretty thick flange area don't worry about it. Read the captions and drill a pilot hole first.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks six,

I can not thank you enough for all the help....

I have 3 days to really work on the bronce and I am going to take advantage of it....

Next Sat i have to go to D.C. for 2 weeks, so I am trying to amke the most of my time before my trip.

I think I have decoded the rear axle info,,

it is S321C

411 9 6E27

now for the front?

any ideas?

on the pumpkin itself there is 059 A B

and on the bottom along the flange, 620304

just trying to build as much info as I can for future refference...

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
By the way you talk, it sounds stock. Therefor it would have to be a Dana 44 TTB.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you GTRider,

so for the rear and front, I should use the limited slip additive correct?

Chem

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Thank you GTRider,

so for the rear and front, I should use the limited slip additive correct?

Chem
Chem

chances are real slim your front diff is limited slip. Your rear end sounds like a 9" so's you won't be able to remove the rear cover, like an 8.8, and see the three clutches in that square notch in the photo below (indicating limited slip);

Read the fluid container and see if it has limited slip fluid additive already in it. If it doesn't add the stuff;

It won't harm a non-LS rear end by adding it.

Chances are good your diffs are 3.55, but if you ever have the wheels off the ground rotate one while counting the driveshaft turns. 3 1/2 turns will verify that for you.

Sixlitre

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Chemfrk said:
for the litle bit of oil i have gotten out,,, it is like syrup,,,black, thick and smelly.
Uh huh. What gear oil isn't??

The # of times in 4wd does not relate to if there is water in the front diff. It would only get water from being submersed, or possibly condensation, but that would not cause enough potential rust to worry about. Pull the front fill plug, if nothing pours out of the fill plug it's not over-filled as a result of water intrusion. Check the level w your finger. If it's full and appears black, thick and smelly, all is well. If it's low, top it off.

You should lock your hubs once a year and take it for a spin to churn things up in there. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. The front diff sees SOOO little wear unless you frequently run at highway speeds in 4wd or with the hubs locked..............coupled w the fact that gears are very durable and very forgiving of old or contaminated fluid...........it's nothing like tolerances in a motor. You could run around in low range crawling a trail all day with NO front fluid and likely never do enough damage to worry about..............there's simply never enough speed generated.

If you want to kill time changing your front fluid, go for it. If you have other projects you want to accomplish, your time would be better spent there.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Six,

the lube is 75-140 limited slip

so, i will not add the additional 4 oz of equa-torque LS additive.

i scraped some grime/greae off the rear diff earlier and found a tab that had
S321C
411 9 6E27
or
111 9 6E27

as for getting the old gear oil out,

I will probably still try to open it up and drain it that way,,,

trying to get it out with a hand pump is killing me, plau i have to use a super small tube,,,

i have read to replace the gasket and to just use RTV??

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Chemfrk said:
Six,

the lube is 75-140 limited slip

so, i will not add the additional 4 oz of equa-torque LS additive.

i scraped some grime/greae off the rear diff earlier and found a tab that had
S321C
411 9 6E27
or
111 9 6E27

as for getting the old gear oil out,

I will probably still try to open it up and drain it that way,,,

trying to get it out with a hand pump is killing me, plau i have to use a super small tube,,,

i have read to replace the gasket and to just use RTV??

Open up what ?

Do you not have a 9" rear end ? If so, do not open the front nuts up. Buy a drill pump for cheap and vacuum out the rear end for now, much faster and easier.

Sixlitre

Sixlitre

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
check,,,

done,,

that will be included in my run to lowe's tomorrow....

thanks again...

for everything

1 - 20 of 22 Posts