Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im the guy that posted a tread about a whinning noise from the rearend when i let off the gas.. alright i put the truck in nuetral and twisted the driveshaft a little it slides back and forth about a 1/8 inch and also moves up and down and all around about 1/8 of an inch in every direction.. its not loose at the u-joint its loose where the driveshaft slides into the diff, behind the u-joint.... there is also a trail of diff fluid running from where the driveshaft is loose at.. running to the bottom of the diff.. :banghead does anyone know whats wrong??

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You don't need to start a new thread for that... just post in the old one.

Bad pinion bearing and seal.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
i had a similiar problem sounds like you need a new driveshaft, maybe a new seal on the diff.
No.

Also, since your pinion bearing is shot, and you described a braking effect, I'd bet your gears are shot too. Pull the cover off and take a look. Don't bother driving it, it's not safe. When that rear locks up, you'll have a lot of fun.

Start looking for a new rear end. That, or if you're considering lifting and putting bigger tires on, now is the time to rebuild that differential, and have a professional install new lower gears.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks alot!! I went out a while ago and looked at it and the right rear drum is leaking fluid.. could just be brake fluid but could this be a seal leaking to.. from the problem of the pinion seal going out?? im just tryin to figure out a cheap way to get it back on the road without it being done halfassed.. do you know how much it will cost to replace whatever is wrong? i would like to keep the same axle and just replace what i have to. thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds like bad pinion bearings.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
ok thanks alot!! I went out a while ago and looked at it and the right rear drum is leaking fluid.. could just be brake fluid but could this be a seal leaking to.. from the problem of the pinion seal going out?? im just tryin to figure out a cheap way to get it back on the road without it being done halfassed.. do you know how much it will cost to replace whatever is wrong? i would like to keep the same axle and just replace what i have to. thanks
Just a guess, but try tightening up the pinion nut a little. It may have backed off some. Chances are good the bearing(s) are most likely shot. Best part is about breaking things, you can upgrade. If you have some extra money to spend, get a l/s or locker and a set of new gears for it. OR if you don't want to go that route, you could just get a ring and pinion plus a master install kit and have it all replaced. Gonna cost you either way.

KC

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going to take it to a shop and get it dun, it has had 4:10's put in it a while back so no need in putting new gears in it. would a bad pinion seal cause the need for new ring and pinion?? or would replacing the pinion seal itself fix it?? when it first started making noise yesturday i only drove it about 20 miles thats it!!! now shes jus sittin..

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
im going to take it to a shop and get it dun, it has had 4:10's put in it a while back so no need in putting new gears in it. would a bad pinion seal cause the need for new ring and pinion?? or would replacing the pinion seal itself fix it?? when it first started making noise yesturday i only drove it about 20 miles thats it!!! now shes jus sittin..
The bad pinion seal, no. A bad pinion bearing... well, honestly, I don't know the full mechanics of how the pinion rides in there well enough to tell you, but I would imagine that if you can move the yoke around as much as you say, the pinion bearing is definitely bad, and thus letting the pinion change angles and depth.

If that has happened, it's done damage to the gears. 20 miles is enough to do damage.

Pull the cover and inspect, take pics and post if you can, and start saving your change, because this isn't gonna be a cheap fix if the gears are shot. R&P, with install kit are going to be in the 250 dollar range, and labor can be anywhere from 100 to 350 bucks, depending on how the mechanic is and how you bring it to him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh ok ill pull tha cover off tomarrow and look to see ir the gears are worn.. if not then ill buy a pinion bearing and install it myself.. i looked it up on the internet doesnt look to hard as long as you tourqe everything right..if the gears look worn ill take it to a shop and let then install it.. thanks alot for the help!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright i have yet another question.. when i replace the pinion bearing let me remind you it is a 8.5 chevy rearend.. do i just take the driveshart loose then replace the bearing right there on the front of the diff?? or do i have to take all the guts out of it and go through the back?? ive seen different pics on internet where people do it from the front and others do it from the back not sure which one i need to do? please help

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
alright i have yet another question.. when i replace the pinion bearing let me remind you it is a 8.5 chevy rearend.. do i just take the driveshart loose then replace the bearing right there on the front of the diff?? or do i have to take all the guts out of it and go through the back?? ive seen different pics on internet where people do it from the front and others do it from the back not sure which one i need to do? please help
I myself don't know it that well, but from what I know, you have to take the carrier out of the pumpkin. Because the pinion installs from the inside of the diff, I believe it also has to be torqued pretty hard (remember hearing like 400lbs but I don't think it is actually torqued that tight.) Look in hayens, itll probably tell you. Also, It has a crush washer (dont quote me on the name) that can only be used ONE time, so if you screw up, you have to take it apart again, get a new crush washer and try again. Itll be a pain I think either way, but I get to learn come spring. I have a slightly used l/s I bough from someone on the board. :chili:

Basically its a lot of work for something small-ish in the grand skeem of things.

KC

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You're already above your head, take it to a shop to have it done. Differentials have to be set up perfectly, or else they'll tear them selves apart and ruin gear sets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts