Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I wanted to pick up some "cheap" steps for my 95 Bronco to help the kids climb in a little easier. My local Autozone had some nice looking aluminum steps that fit just about EVERYTHING except 1981-1996 Broncos...so I had to ask the counter "expert" what gives? He didn't have a clue, and said they SHOULD fit. I looked online and it seems like steps specifically for the 1981-1996 Bronco exist separately from 1966-1980 Bronco steps, and it LOOKS like the difference is that 1981+ steps bolt/screw into the "floor" of the cab whereas the <1981 steps bolt into the "overhang" under the cab.

Anyone have the slightest clue why there are differences? I'm stumped! BTW I tried some searches on here...but couldn't find anything either.

·
Super Moderator
4,981 Posts
That's odd, unless they they got the cut off years wrong.
As far as I know, 80s and 81s are virtually identical. Unless someone knows some small variation that I don't.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only difference that I know of between '80 and '81 is the frame. The '80 has the swiss cheese frame. The Body between the two years is identical. Could be that the company distributing those steps have the cutoff years wrong. That's pretty easy to do when you look at some other aftermarket parts. The company's don't list the '80 because the parts bolt to the frame and that could become an issue with the extra holes in the frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I still haven't figured out why the cut-off at 1980...but I can tell you that the rocker panels are way too "shallow/short" for the steps to mount. I'm guessing they must have changed from 1980 to 1981. Maybe the rocker panels changed with a re-tooling from 1979 tubs to 1980 tubs...who knows?

No idea but I can tell you that the steps definitely don't fit the 1995 Bronco!

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/bully-aluminum-steps.html

http://www.carr.com/store/carrsuperhoop.asp

Two manufacturers agree with the date transition...not sure it means anything but they MUST know something! :p ha ha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts