Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that with the 92+ rear seats the shoulder belt is bolted to the removable top which makes it technically illegal to remove the top and makes the rear seatbelts useless, but, how is the 1991 bolted?

Would putting a 1991 rear seat into a later model bronco give you the ability to keep the shoulder straps in place and still remove the top?

I have an 8yr old daughter. I'd like to be able to enjoy my bronco topless on the beach, but i want to make sure she and any friends she wants to bring to the beach with us are as securely belted in as possible.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
91 and earlier Broncos did not have shoulder belts, only lap belts. I put a 93 back seat in my 89 by swapping belts from seat to seat. If you feel that shoulder belts are required, and still want to pull the hard top, you will need a roll cage to attach them. Only way to do shoulder belts and no top.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
91 and earlier Broncos did not have shoulder belts, only lap belts. I put a 93 back seat in my 89 by swapping belts from seat to seat. If you feel that shoulder belts are required, and still want to pull the hard top, you will need a roll cage to attach them. Only way to do shoulder belts and no top.
Ohh, i didn't realize that they were only lap belts. I'll have to look into that. May need to go a completely different way and look for seats with the belts built in.

Thanks jfour!

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
yo,
Shoulder Belt Addition with a roll bar is safest...
http://www.swracecars.com/
Also, add a 3rd Brake Light; do a search for that here; some have mtd light to tire carrier..

I'll add links to each asap.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I believe it may be illegal to remove shoulder belts and install lap belts (can't remember if that is federal or local law). If you are going for safety with the top off, you might consider a "family cage".

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
yo
ROLL CAGE;
Installation, 6 point in a 95
Source: by flourman at FSB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98548

Installation, 6 point in a 96
Source: by boss (bossind, Steve) at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164216
Significant Excerpt; "... may go forward after the rear is completed as that would certainly be more functional as far as rollover is concern. I like the looks of a rear cage with the top off, and like the fact I can still use the rear shoulder belts with the top off. Guess I was also concern about the interference of the front cage around the dash and having access to things... though the more I work with tubing the more comfortable and skill i become so don't be surprised if I move into the front cab..."

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
yo,

Here is the Ford Child Safety Seat, Tether Attachment for 89-96 Bronco & F Series (can be adapted to other years as well
Child Safety Seat Installation
Local Dealer installed center unit for free a few years ago; suggest you have all three installed.

Use a child safety seat that is recommended for the size and weight of the child. Always follow the child safety seat manufacturer's instructions when installing and using the child safety seat. When installing a child safety seat be sure to use the correct safety belt buckle for that seating position and make sure the tongue is securely fastened in the buckle.

These vehicles are equipped with a dual locking mode retractor on the shoulder belt portion of the combination lap/shoulder safety belt for the front and rear seat passengers, except on Bronco only has a locking "cinch tongue" for rear outboard passengers.

If it is chosen to install a forward-facing child safety seat or infant carrier in the front seating positions, move vehicle seat as far back as possible.

For seating positions equipped with a dual locking mode retractor, use the following procedure:

Position the child seat in the center of the passenger seat.

Pull down on the shoulder belt, then grasp the shoulder belt and lap belt together. See illustration below.

READ & SEE MORE
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stj1ka27.htm
One thAng tho; in the Service Instructions, Ford has one error, in this paragraph: "Locate the rear seat cushion latch and the rear seat back latch striker (62440). The rear bolt holding the rear seat back latch striker to the floor pan is the bolt ____ (Ford forgot to include "hole" here; & the Kit contains a new Bolt that is slightly longer than this original bolt) used for mounting the tether strap bracket (refer to illustration). Refer to Tether Strap Attachment for the Second Row Center Seating Position in this section."

Also, needed a lot of PB Blaster and an air gun to remove the frozen nut under da floor pan. Helped mechanic install it; need someone below and in cargo area to attach nut to da bolt... ------

===
go to Local Dealer and show them this;

UPDATE as of JAN 18 2012; "...Hey guys, I am new to this site and just wanted to relay some current info that was sent to me from Ford & a PDF of the Ford R7C program. This is the email I received this morning (1/18/12) from ford regarding the R7C program. Anthony, the program is still active where parts are available. Due to low demand and the age of vehicles that would require the installation of the top tether anchor, parts are no longer being produced. Even when the program was much more active, it wasn’t atypical for dealers to be unaware of it. I have attached a description of the program for you to provide them so that they understand how to get themselves reimbursed from Ford Motor Company, if they are able to get parts. There is no charge to you. If are unable to find a dealer with parts, I recommend you contact Dorel (Safety 1st) at 1-800-544-1108. Monday-Thursday 8am-6pm or Friday 8am to 4:30pm or go to

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....eeEnabled=true
to obtain a generic tether anchor kit, for less than $10.

Kelley Adams-Campos
FORD Automotive Safety Office
Subject Matter Expert F/CMVSS 108 and Consumer Information
NHTSA Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician

COMPLIMENTARY TETHER ANCHOR INSTALLATION.pdf
Must Register to view

*****Update******

I had Lakeland Ford install 2 anchors Today (1/20/2012) at no cost to me. The only thing they asked was for a copy of the R7C pdf. so they could get paid..."

===

& by Ford
Child Safety Seat, Rear Center Position, Adjustable Locking Lap Belt
Lengthen the lap belt. To lengthen the belt, hold the tongue so its bottom is perpendicular to the direction of the webbing while sliding the tongue along the webbing toward loose end of the belt.

Place the child safety seat in the center seating position.

Route the tongue and webbing through the child seat according to the child seat manufacturer's instructions.

Insert the belt tongue into the proper buckle for the center seating position until you hear a snap and feel it latch. Make sure the tongue is securely fastened to the buckle by pulling on the tongue.

Push down on the child seat while pulling on the loose end of the lap belt webbing to tighten the belt.

Before placing the child into the child seat, forcibly tilt the child seat from side to side and forward to make sure the seat is held securely in place. If the child seat moves excessively, repeat Steps 5 through 6, or properly install the child seat in a different seating position.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YOU (the driver) determine how safe your passengers are; not the vehicle. If you want to stay legal, pop the side windows out. It's easy, cheap, and almost as effective.
This is an interesting idea. I thought i once heard that they make sliding windows for the back windows on a bronco. With those open and the rear down it'll be very open and still safe!

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is an interesting idea. I thought i once heard that they make sliding windows for the back windows on a bronco. With those open and the rear down it'll be very open and still safe!
i have a set of sliding windows but idk if it is cost effective for you to ship them. i put a 88 seat in my 93 so i could go to a soft top and some day i will finish my exocage

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a difference that WASN'T mentioned in this thread, that is VERY important when talking about the difference in seats between the 1991 and 1992 and later Bronco's:

1991:

1992 and later:

As you can see, not only is the difference that the belt attaches to the roof, it also has different interior panels and the shoulder belts attach to the wall.

I don't know why this very important detail wasn't mentioned, but now it's here if anyone does a search

1 - 12 of 12 Posts