Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see these numbers thrown around a lot, but dont know what heads came on which motor, and which would be a good, junkyard score for my next heads. How are these different from the cobra heads, GT heads? i know the roush, trickflows, or edelbrocks are nice, but more money that I care to spend on a truck that gets beaten on. Im looking for a cheaper alternative to the 1000 dollar plus heads.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Plug, i notice you been looking for heads for a while.

When you figure out what you want, let me know and i will go check the pick n' pulls here, and see if they have what you want. Since i am outta work it will gimme something to do.

I can't help ya with the question, but i can help ya find what ya want.

·
Registered
689 Posts
the e7 heads are the best of the one you listed

e5 is a 85 head
e6 is a 86 head ( im not shure why but 86 heads are hated among stang guys)
e7 is a 87 head
the e stands for the decade and the number is the year they started useing the part....and just so you know e7 heads were used untill 95...at least in stangs anyway

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
bad96 said:
If an e7 was used until 95 what did they use in 96?
a 4.6l.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
46079bronco said:
the e7 heads are the best of the one you listed

e5 is a 85 head
e6 is a 86 head ( im not shure why but 86 heads are hated among stang guys)
e7 is a 87 head
the e stands for the decade and the number is the year they started useing the part....and just so you know e7 heads were used untill 95...at least in stangs anyway
so is that better, the same or what as compared to my factory 351

Rob, thanks for the nice offer.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Would I have E7s on my 5.0 litre 1990 Lincoln Town Car ?

Sixlitre

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
E7's on a TC, probably not. I've not seen them on any of the heads I've pulled from the boneyard. Almost all of them had cast rockers on positive-stop studs. I'm not saying that's the final word, but I'd be surprised, let's say that.

1996-1997 were the 'cross-over' years for Windsor to modular engines in Fords. Explorers are the exception, as those received 302/5.0L's for years afterward, but only with significant modification. Reason being that 1) the emission laws and OBDII were pushing for the changes, and 2) a 4.6L just ain't gonna fit (easily) under the hood of a 90's Exploder.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
E7's on a TC, probably not. I've not seen them on any of the heads I've pulled from the boneyard. Almost all of them had cast rockers on positive-stop studs. I'm not saying that's the final word, but I'd be surprised, let's say that.
What heads would be on a 5.0 litre 1990 Town Car SigEpBlue ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
787 Posts
IIRC your '90 TC would in fact have a set of E7's on it.

The E6's were a "swirl port" designed chamber to maximize economy, and were used only in '86. I also think engines (car) that had E6's also had the oddball 58mm TB instead of the common 60MM TB.

My '86 MGM had them, and there was a noticible improvement by simply swapping them for E7's. (not much, but it was there)

-Paul

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
ValkariaKid said:
IIRC your '90 TC would in fact have a set of E7's on it.

The E6's were a "swirl port" designed chamber to maximize economy, and were used only in '86. I also think engines (car) that had E6's also had the oddball 58mm TB instead of the common 60MM TB.

My '86 MGM had them, and there was a noticible improvement by simply swapping them for E7's. (not much, but it was there)

-Paul
Thanks Paul

Guess that answers my question... I've already got E7s on my 1990 Town Car.

Stupid question; 2mm equates to less than 2% improvement between the Lincoln throttle body and the Stang throttle body.

I'm after mileage, not really power at the expense of mileage, I can't see it being worth my while to swap in the 60mm T-body, correct ?

Everyone here is always marvelling at the kind of mileage my 86 Bronco gets. I can't help wondering if it's those high swirl E6 heads ?

Thanks

Sixlitre

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah swapping TB's is definately not worth the hassle because you'e either have to use a larger EGR spacer or have the old one bored out.

Also the stang TB would have to be modified a bit to use in your TC. (Your TC has the TB on the driver's side right?). If so you'd have to swap out the actual throttle arm on the TB to use your existing throttle & TV cables.

Paul

·
Registered
787 Posts
On a side note my '86 MGM netted 23+MPG last year on a trip from FL to NY and back, and that was cruising a 75 +/- MPH with the air on the whole way.

-Paul

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
ValkariaKid said:
On a side note my '86 MGM netted 23+MPG last year on a trip from FL to NY and back, and that was cruising a 75 +/- MPH with the air on the whole way.

-Paul
Yeah I love these Panther platforms. They defy physics with their mileage.

People who've been in the car and seen me work outthe mileage at the pumps say "give me that calculator" and they double check it in disbelief.

I did the Y-pipe thing, the ignition upgrades and the Taurus fan and you wouldn't believe the mileage and power increases if I told you. Check the Lincoln here;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9371

Sixlitre

·
Registered
787 Posts
Now that's a sweet TC ya got there!

Here's my MGM
http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2322

As for the MPG calculations... I simply added a "tripminder" from a boneyard and at the touch of a button all the data I could want was instantly displayed for all to see!
http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2196

Unfortunately... In august last year an 82 yo prick decided prove the formula (F=MA) and T-boned me while I was stopped at a light and my beloved MGM went away on a hook.

He hit me so hard that his chevy lumina actually spun me around two complete revolutions before I came to a halt. He got me right in front of my front tire and displaced the entire nose about 18" to one side. The frame ends were pinched so much that the steering linkage was pushed up into the oil pan.

Damn I miss that car.

-Paul

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
ValkariaKid said:
Now that's a sweet TC ya got there!

Here's my MGM
http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2322

As for the MPG calculations... I simply added a "tripminder" from a boneyard and at the touch of a button all the data I could want was instantly displayed for all to see!
http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=2196

Unfortunately... In august last year an 82 yo prick decided prove the formula (F=MA) and T-boned me while I was stopped at a light and my beloved MGM went away on a hook.

He hit me so hard that his chevy lumina actually spun me around two complete revolutions before I came to a halt. He got me right in front of my front tire and displaced the entire nose about 18" to one side. The frame ends were pinched so much that the steering linkage was pushed up into the oil pan.

Damn I miss that car.

-Paul

Thanks Paul

not bad for $1400.00 safetied and E-tested eh ? Damn shame about you MGM, awful nice shape.

Thanks for the link I'm gonna surf it some mo'

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
plug ugly said:
Hey suckers, stay on topic. Whats the difference between all the heads?
D'oh ! :duh Caught again by a moderator again !

Plug I got the answers on another thread. If the experts are right I already have E7s on my 90 Town Car and they're not swirl, closed chambers like my 86 Bronco's E6s.

Guess I'm looking for GT40s off an Exploder or AFRs

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 27 Posts